Brian
Brian, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  5 years Ford Technical Hotline/Service Engineer. 2005 Ford Master Cert. Automotive Technology degree
367936

1998 ford explorer: blower motor..my turn signals..ve checked..fuses

my blower motor won't come on and my turn signals won't work on my 1998 ford explorer. are these seperate problems or are they related. and how do i repair these, i've checked the fuses and they were fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
The blower motor shares ground 100 with the flasher, which could cause the lights not to flash. Ground 100 is on the inner fender between the battery and the starter solenoid. Make sure the bolt holding the ground wires there is tight, and the terrminals should be making good clean metal to metal contact.

Other than that, the two problems are separate. Do the turn signals not light up at all, or just fail to flash? Does the blower work on high, or not at all. The first thing to do is check the blower relay. Located in the power distribution box underhood, see if the relay is clicking when the key is turned on and off. If the relay is suspected, swap in a similar relay and see if the blower works. From there, you would need to check for a loss of power at the blower motor connector using a test light with the key on in the high blower setting, it should light up at full brightness. If only high blower works, the speed control resistor block is probably bad (unless you have automatic temperature control, then it is an electronic speed controller, not a resistor block).

For the turn signals, you can check to see if power is getting to the turn signal switch. The Light Blue wire at the turn signal switch provides a pulsing 12 volts that is supplied by the flasher. The flasher could be bad.

Before diving too far into the testing, use the test light to check for power at the fuses with the key on. Let me know if you have any questions, I can guide you through the steps as needed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

how do i check for power at the fuses. i clamped to ground and put the test light in the fuse socket and got nothing, but this was at any fuse, i checked the test light at the battery and it does work. i swapped the relay and didn't get a different result. blower doesn't work at all. turn signals do not work at all. is the light bluew wire inside the steering column?

Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
To check power at the fuses, you make sure that you have good ground, clip to a bolt or metal of the body. Test the ground by probing known good power to make sure the light can work with the ground you selected. You can leave the fuses installed for initial tests (look closely at the fuse, you will see there is metal coming through the plastic near the rating number on top. Just use the probe tip to touch these areas of the fuse you are testing. The key must be on for the fuses to get power. If you have the fuse pulled, only one of the two terminals will have power.

The light blue wire is in the steering column harness, yes.

Retest the fuses and see what is happening, and I will keep guiding you depending on your findings.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The fuses for both turn signals show no power with a test light, all other fuses show power.
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Are you referring to fuses 10 and 21?

Fuse 10 gets power from a gray/yellow wire that is powered when the key is in the RUN position.

Fuse 21 is powered all the time from the battery power supplied to the interior fusebox.

graphic

The diagram below shows the blower motor for the non-automatic temperature control:
graphic

Based on the info you have given, it could be a broken wire or a bad fusebox, but I think more testing is needed to confirm the problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No it is fuses 3 and 7 that show no power. 10 and 21 show power. According to the owners manual was where I saw that 3 and 7 were for turn signals.
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Okay, those two fuses are for the trailer turn signals. They will only show power when the turn signals flash on. They are not needed for the regular turn signals, so your findings are normal. These two fuses send the turn signal power pulses to the trailer tow connector.

Now that you know there is power at all the fuses like there should be, you will need to go a little further and see if power is getting to the turn signal switch as described earlier.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also noticed that while taking the cover off the steering column that if the flasher button is partially depressed the flashers work, but not when fully depressed. Also in the column there are several light blue wires...is it the wire without
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also noticed that while taking the cover off the steering column that if the flasher button is partially depressed the flashers work, but not when fully depressed. Also in the column there are several light blue wires...is it the wire without a
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also noticed that while taking the cover off the steering column that if the flasher button is partially depressed the flashers work, but not when fully depressed. Also in the column there are several light blue wires...is it the wire without a stripe on it
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also noticed that while taking the cover off the steering column that if the flasher button is partially depressed the flashers work, but not when fully depressed. Also in the column there are several light blue wires...is it the wire without a stripe on it or
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also noticed that while taking the cover off the steering column that if the flasher button is partially depressed the flashers work, but not when fully depressed. Also in the column there are several light blue wires...is it the wire without a stripe on it or one with a
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also noticed that while taking the cover off the steering column that if the flasher button is partially depressed the flashers work, but not when fully depressed. Also in the column there are several light blue wires...is it the wire without a stripe on it or one with a particular stripe. The one with no stripe shows power to it with the switch turned on.
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
The light blue wire without the stripe is the one to check, it is shown in that first diagram I posted, and it supplies the power that ultimately goes out to all the turn signals. If you unplug the multifunction switch (turn signal/wiper switch), and connect a test light to the light blue wire, and to ground, the test light should flash on and off, confirming that the flasher is working.

My suspicion is that the switch contacts inside the multifunction switch are bad, and the multifunction switch probably needs to be replaced.

You can also test this theory by using a jumper wire to connect the light blue wire with circuit 2 (White/Light blue stripe) while the multifunction switch is unplugged. Doing this will simulate the right turn signal switch being on, and the right turn signals should start flashing. If the turn signals work in this test, the multifunction switch is bad. (The same test can be done for the left side by connecting the Light Blue to circuit 3--light green/white)

I hope this makes sense, use the picture below to locate the wires in the multifunction switch connector.
graphic