Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

88 ranger: stripped..timing belt..the timing marks on the inner cover

i have a 88 ranger...
i have a 88 ranger 2.3 with a stripped timing belt. i put on a new one on but the timing marks on the inner cover are broken and gone. how do i set the belt properly?
10/18/2008
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Hello, and thank yu for choosing Just Answer!

The timing mark for the cam is on the bottom side.. Here is a picture of where they are supposed to be:
graphic

And here is a picture of how everything is put together, if you had to take it loose:
graphic

Without those marks, you would have to degree the thing, and it takes some expensive tools, and is a fairly lengthy process, that needs to be done.. Keep in mind that this is an interference engine, and the valves could be damaged, if it is put together wrong.
do u have a frontal shot of the motor with the belt on and timing marks so i can compare to what i have?
OOPS! I forgot that one.. My mistake.. Laughing

Here it is:
graphic
is this for a distibutor motor as my tensioner does not set that high up. on ur pic, there is no set of 3 timing marks on the inner cover, and everything i read says do not rotate counterclockwise.
That is to check the timing mark..
That picture is actually more geared towards checking timing belt deflection. When you do this, you only turn it a little bit, till the cam mark starts moving, then measure the deflection..

It is the only picture available (through Ford) of the timing marks for the camshaft.

Distributor engine or not.. .a 2.3 is a 2.3.. even the diesel versions, when it comes to the timing marks on crank and camshafts.
one more thing. on that pic of the belt deflection, with the crank pulleys off. does the arrow on the crankgear point to the notch in the case? straight up?
Yes, the marks are straight up.
graphic
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
ase_master327
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner