Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1995 Ford Explorer: check engine light..Egr valve..exhaust..Vacuum

I have a 1995 Ford...
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 liter engine. The check engine light comes on shortly after warmup and stays on, setting a code 327, Egr valve position or exhaust pressure transducer circuit below minimum voltage. The EGR valve looks alright as I can put Vacuum to it and it holds and I can here it go up and down when I release vacuum. I was then told by a Local Ford garage that he could almost guarantee that it was the PFE switch. Though I got this one out of a salvage yard it looked like new. I replaced it and still have the same problem. I also replaced the other sensor that provides the vacuum directly to the EGR and also no luck. Any help you can give on this would be a great help as I am not sure what to try anymore. Oh I also checked for any obstructions in the exhaust tubes and found nothing. HELP!! (Egr feedback says 0.0 volts)
10/17/2008
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

There are sever things that can set this codes so lets start here.

incorrect installation of the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor sense tubes from the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) delivery pipe
Defective Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor

Monitor the output of the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor signal circuit, Brown/Green, with a voltmeter, when opening the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve with the engine running. Voltage should start at 0.4 volts to 0.6 volts, when equipped with the oval aluminum sensor and 0.9 volts to 1.1 volts with the small square replacement sensor and smoothly increase as vacuum is applied to the EGR valve.

The Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor voltage should show 0.4-1.2 volts Key On, Engine Off (KOEO) and at idle, when the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve is opened with the engine running, the voltage should increase. If the voltage decreases, the sensors "sense" tubes are hooked up backwards. Looking at the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor, the reference (REF) ports line should be connected to the delivery tubes pipe, which is closer to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve than the exhaust manifold, and the HI port should be connected to the pipe which is closer to the exhaust manifold than the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve. The code will set when the sensor output voltage drops to 0.2 volts or less.

The tubes are correcly installed as the are of slightly differant sizes to corespond to the correct port. I am reading 0.0 volts from my EZ-scan tool whther at idle or increasing throttle. Do I still need to be reading this at the sensor? Says EGR feedback 0 volts
The Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor voltage should show 0.4-1.2 volts Key On, Engine Off (KOEO) and at idle, when the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve is opened with the engine running, the voltage should increase.
So I do not have any ,where is the problem If I already replaced the sensor and the tubes I hooked correctly?
Then I would say you have an issue with eaither your PCM (computer) or the wiring to or from it to the DPFE.

If I remove the plug connector, turn the key on, should I be reading any voltage at the connector, going to the brown/ green wire to ground? I am not reading any voltage at the connector doing this. Must engine be warmed up first or should I be seeing voltage there all the time.

You should see reference voltage as long as the key is on.It dosnt matter if the engine is warm or cold.
So if I am not seeing any voltage at the connector with the connector disconnected I can assume the problem is before the connector, probably wire coming from computer or the computer itself, and if you were to guess which would be the more likely cause?
I would start at the connector and work my way back.Make sure there is 5v on the Brown/White (BN/W) wire, the Grey/Red (GY/R) wire is ground and must read 0.1v or less at all times. The signal wire is the Brown/Green (BN/GN) and should read as listed above.

Can I just use the battery ground which is close, and probe these wires at the connector and see what I have because I am not getting any voltage at any of these wires to ground or should I be doing this differently. It is unlikely that I would not see any voltage on any of the wires if it was a wire problem. am I right here or not

Yes your right and yes you can use the battery ground. You should see at least the reference voltage (5volts) on the brown wire. Be sure to back probe the connector .
I guess I am not sure what you mean by back probing the connector. I have the connector off and am testing it from the front, I am not seeing a good way to probe it from the back
From the back you may need a small straight pin to penetrate the wire.
hang tight I will give it a try
Ok

Enclosed is the scamatic for the PFE and you should be able to check Vref voltage on the same wire at the TP sensor.

graphic

These are my readings, Gray/ Red - .07 volts, BR/ green- .02 volts, Br/ white- .01 volts
Check and see if you have the 5volts on the brown/white at the throttle position sensor as its the same circuit.
ok
Look at the scamatic I sent you.
Yes I do have 5 volts at the TPS
Ok that means the PCM is ok and sending the VREF voltage, your open somewhere from the PCM to the PFE, Its just a matter of tracing it down.
Easier said than done but good job, it helps to have schematic to go off of. Just out of curiousity if I ran A temporary jumper from the tps ref. wire to the pfe and see if it all works would that do it?
Yes providing the VREF at the PFE isnt shorted to ground.
Gotcha, Great Job of troubleshooting and hopefully that is the only wire that is bad in the circuit.

Your very welcome. Its likely open in the harness someplace and yes some time can be a bear to find.

Do you know where the wire would first go back to, you said harness but am not sure where you would be talking about. The tps and and pfe must join somewhere would this be at the harness?
There is a major splice S128 but it in the harness between the PCM and the engine compartment. I dont have a excate location. You could likely get away with overlaying a new wire.
by overlaying a new wire would that mean coming from the harness connection or somewhere else
Yes it would mean coming from the harness where you know you have the 5 volts VREF signel and running it to you PFE connector.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ok, again many thanks for your patience on this matter and hopefully I can follow this back until I find good wire.
Thanks again, already found short, you know your Fords, excellent job troubleshooting
Thank you.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician