Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

1995 Ford Thunderbird: the steps to replace the tension strut bushing

What are the steps to replace the tension strut bushing on a 1995 Ford Thunderbird?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

Which bushing are you referring to?

The upper control arm bushings?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No, not the upper control arm. My Haynes Repair Manual refers to it as the "tension strut." It connects to the lower control arm between the lower ball joint and the shock absorber lower mounting bolt. I have seen it refferred to as the "lower control arm strut" on the internet. The other end connects to the frame near the stabilizer bar.

The bushing at the lower control arm end is cracked and half of it has fallen out. I am assuming I will have to remove the whole lower control arm and have the bushing replaced.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Expert:  Shawn replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

I am sending a diagram, You will have to disconnect the lower control arm to gain access to the lower control arm strut bushing.

graphic

Expert:  Shawn replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

Here is some info for removal of the lower control arm, once the lower control arm is out of the way you will have access to the strut.

graphic

graphic

graphic