Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Where exactly is the thermostat on 99 ranger 2.5 engine I

Where exactly is the thermostat...
Where exactly is the thermostat on 99 ranger 2.5 engine? I have a chiltons manual and it say on top and then some are on the bottom. I my local auto parts store has two different thermostat listed for this vehicle
10/10/2008
Richard, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The Ford part number for the thermostat is F8CZ-8575-AA. Here's the procedure to replace it.

Removal

CAUTION: Do not pry on the water thermostat to remove.

1. Drain the cooling system.

graphic

• Disconnect the heater return hose at the thermostat housing.
  •  

graphic

• Disconnect the engine coolant temperature sensor and the water temperature sensor.
  •  

graphic

• Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the outlet connection.
  •  

graphic

• Remove the bolts. Pull the elbow away from the cylinder head.
  •  

graphic

• Remove the water thermostat.
  •  

graphic

1. Remove the thermostat O-ring.

Installation

WARNING: Do not stand in line with or near the fan blade when the engine is running.

CAUTION: The thermostat seal must be positioned on the water outlet connection before the water thermostat is installed.

graphic

• NOTE: The water outlet connection casting contains a locking recess into which the thermostat is turned and locked. Install the coolant water outlet connection against the cylinder head.
  • Richard
    Richard, ASE Certified Technician
    okay so it is on top your the man thank you

Your welcome

Thanks for the accept and for using justanswer.com.

Richard, ASE Certified Technician