Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

A code p0354: Coil D primary/secondary circuit malfunction, I

Customer Question
I am getting a...
I am getting a code p0354: Coil D primary/secondary circuit malfunction, I have worked thru other codes but this one is not an abvious fix for me?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
10/10/2008
Ford Mechanic: Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
110, 000 miles, engine misses randomly, but when you push into passing gear it feels like the cylinder fires, but under normal low rpm driving it feels like and vibrates like it's missing. 4.6 liter v8 did the changes I mentioned above. new coil #1, 8 plugs, upstream passenger side o2 sensor those codes went away but now the 354 shows and engine runs as it did before the changes just no engine light now.
I'm sorry, I was not able to see the make and model on the first pass. Let me refer it to the Ford catagory, as I am not a Ford expert, Thank you for your patience, someone will be along shortly, I'm sure. Again, sorry.
Ford Mechanic: Ironmike, Ford Technician replied 9 years ago
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician

Greetings grm1433,

I checked alldata and they show tests(too much to list) for the coil over plug, the wire harness for the coil and the pcm(driver circuit). The symptoms you described go with my experience of a bad coil. I would power balance with the scanner, the misfire would show up under load. They also said to check the spark plug gap on the cylinder that is misfiring. Not uncommon on these engines to have several coils fail or even one after another in short time periods.

Good Luck Mike

If this answer has been helpful please accept

I guess my concern is that it used to display a misfire code, now the primary/secondary circuit malfunction on coil D. can you verify which coil is "d"? the previous code was on cylinder 1 which I did change yesterday as well as the plug on #1.

Greetings,

I am jumping between two computers in the shop that are shared. Ignition coil D is cylinder #4. I have more information now written down if you need more. I would try the coil.

Good luck

I'll replace the coil on #4 to see if we get a different outcome. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX if it doesn't work

Greetings,

How did it work out?

Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Ironmike
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician