Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1997 ford ranger: shift solenoid..I might find a diagram to show me

Ok I took my 1997...
Ok I took my 1997 ford ranger to the shop and they told me it threw the code p0756 which is shift solenoid #2 performance. I was wondering if the solenoid is internal or external and where I might find a diagram to show me where this is located. I have the 5r55e transmission.
9/27/2008
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
The shift solenoid is located on the valve body inside the transmission oil pan,here is a diagram of the location for the solenoid, but there also is a service bulletin out for that code on your truck requiring a Processor recalibration that will have to be done at the dealer, here is a copy for you to read.Hope this helps.graphic
TSB
97-22-16
  • TRANSMISSION - 5R55E - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P0756 OR P1701 STORED IN MEMORY - 4.0L VEHICLES
Publication Date: OCTOBER 27, 1997

LIGHT TRUCK:1997 RANGER

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to include DTC P1701 and a Service Procedure for DTC P1701.

CALIBRATION:

7-58F-R10, 7-58H-R10, 7-58S-R10, 7-58T-R10

WARNING:THIS MODIFICATION IS AUTHORIZED ONLY FOR THE LISTED ENGINE. PERFORMING THIS MODIFICATION ON OTHER ENGINE CALIBRATIONS IS UNAUTHORIZED AND COULD CREATE LIABILITY UNDER APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR LOCAL LAWS.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may have Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0756 or DTC P1701 stored in memory. This may be caused by the characteristics of the 1-3 shift combined with the sensitivity of diagnostic calibration caused by the DTC P0756 to set, even though SS2 was functioning properly and 3rd gear was obtained, or the shift lever not being in the proper position and setting DTC P1701.

ACTION:

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The revised calibration should reduce the possibility of a false P0756 or P1701 being set. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR DTC P0756

1. Perform normal diagnosis as listed in the 1997 Ranger Service Manual.
  2. Repair all DTCs as listed.
  3. Repair all transmission concerns as required.

NOTE:REGIONAL APPROVAL MUST BE OBTAINED WHEN IT IS NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE PCM. EMERGENCY ORDERS ONLY WILL BE FILLED AS SHELF STOCK OF PCMs ARE LIMITED.

4. Check to verify that the vehicle does not have the latest calibration. If it does not, reprogram the PCM with the appropriate calibration by referring to the following PCM Application Chart for correct PCM usage.

SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR DTC P1701

1. Perform all normal diagnostics as outlined in the appropriate year Service Manual.
  2. Repair all DTCs as listed.
  3. Repair all transmission concerns as listed.
  4. Check the Transmission Range (TR) sensor alignment and shift cable adjustment for the PRNDL indicator.
  5. Clear any DTCs.
  6. Inform the customer that when making a shift lever change, move directly to the desired gear without hesitation.

7. Check to verify that the vehicle does not have the latest calibration. If it does not, reprogram the PCM with the appropriate calibration by referring to the following PCM Application Chart for correct PCM usage.

PCM APPLICATION
    Old CalibrationOld Part Number
    (-12A650-)
    New CalibrationNew Part Number
    (-12A650-)
    7-58H-R10F77F-YC7-58H-R10F7PZ-ZA
    7-58S-R10F77F-ZC7-58S-R10F7PZ-ABA
    7-58F-R10F77F-XC7-58F-R10F7PZ-AAA
    7-58T-R10F77F-AAC7-58T-R10F7PZ-ACA

Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield

PART NUMBERPART NAME
F7PZ-12A650-ZAPowertrain Control Module (PCM)
F7PZ-12A650-AAAPowertrain Control Module (PCM)
F7PZ-12A650-ABAPowertrain Control Module (PCM)
F7PZ-12A650-ACAPowertrain Control Module (PCM)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE

SUPERSEDES:

97-20-18

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
lostrider
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician