Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1999 ford ranger radio not working after charing battery.

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2008
Ford Mechanic: chris, Ford Mechanic replied 9 years ago
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic

Hi there

There are two fuses to check for the radio located in the interior fuse panel ,, they are fuse number 29 and 20

graphic

graphic

check these two fuses with a test lamp , with the key on ,, or remove the fuses and hold them up to the light to see if they are burnt out

if the fuses check out ok , then the next step is to remove the radio and make sure there is power on those two wires from the fuses to the radio ,,,,to remove the radio you will need radio tools,,, but you do not have these ,,, but you can make your own ,,,grab a wire hanger and cut the bottom of part of the hanger off,, then cut that piece in half ,,, then bend both parts into a U-shape ,,,and then you have radio tools

graphic

insert both tools into the radio , in its holes about one inch in ,,, then you have to do two motions at the same time ,,, one is to push both tools away from each other to release the springs and the other is to pull out on the tools to slide the radio out ,,,

graphic

once the radio is out ,,, with the key on the two wires to check for power is the YELLOW / BLACK wire and the LIGHT GREEN / VIOLTE wire --- if both have power then its time to get a new radio ,,,,,,,it is possable that you did damage the radio when charging the battery ,, sometimes if you un plug the radio and plug it back in it will wake the radio back up and it will start to work ,,, but if none of this works the radio is now bad and needs to be replaced -----Ford radios are very expensive and also have a bad rep for breaking down ,,, so i would install an after market unit and it should last for years ...

any more info just ask , we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Hi there

If you need more info , just ask

if not please hit the accept button

Thanks,,,,,,Chris

chris
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic