Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2000 ford focus 4dr. the trunk latch has been alternating

between sticking, and not releasing...
I have a 2000 ford focus 4dr. the trunk latch has been alternating between sticking, and not releasing. Right now it is stuck, after 3 tries at getting it to latch, It will not release. the inside release button doesnt do anything, and the trunk lock does nothing(except bent my key) the light in the trunk is stuck on, and drained one battery. I have tried to get the seat to fold down, and I can find no way to do that either. I just went to a body shop and they are stumped. so I am loosing another battery, and the trunk is shut, lock broke and the latch, who knows. How can I get it open or the back seat down. I believe everything is in the trunk, as far as latchs for seat. Im going to end up paying big money for a latch, which I understand , is a common problem in this car? p. [email protected]
9/8/2008
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic

Hi there

Yes this is a common problem on these units , but once you replace the trunk latch it will not happen again -----the way I used to get the trunk open when it was stuck , ,,, was to put the key in the trunk tumbler and work the lock and the remote button for the trunk at the same time ,,, hold the key to open it and then hit the remote button ,,, just mess with the key and remote and it will pop open ---

once you get it open if you need any info on replaceing the latch just ask me

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
chris, the lock in the trunk door is now broke. we have tried with a screw driver, and pushing the button. I need to get the trunk open

I think you misunderstood me ----or I am misunderstanding you

have you tried this

put the key in the tumbler and turn it to open it and hold it there ,at the same time hit the button on the remote ,,keep hitting the button ---doing both at the same time usaly gets it open

if you have tried this please tell me and I will try to come up with something else

Chris

chris, yes tried this. the tumbler is broke from repeted tries. worked at it 3 hours last night, and an hour this evening. the inside button doesnt do anything now.not even make a noise

OK --- give me 15 minutes to come up with a way to get into the trunk through the rear seat , I have never seen one this bad

hold on

Chris

chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
chris, are you still there?

OK - here is two different ways to try to get into the trunk through the rear seat

pop the cover off the inside release lever and you should be able to see the cable going to the lever -- grab the cable with a pliers and pull on it and see if this will let the seat back fold down ---push in on the seat back and then pull the cable and then try to fold it down ----try both sides

graphic

if this does not pan out then its a slow process on removing the lower bolts that hold the seat back in place ,,,on the bottom of the seat back ,,, fold the bottom seat assembly forward and remove the five bolts that hold the seat backs to the floor --- then you can sqweaz through the seats with a flash light and may make the seats fold down with the lever inside the trunk ,,, and then you can work on the trunk latch ---

graphic

I think I do remember doing this once --had same problem --- I am a small guy ---remove the seat bolts and sqweazed in to the trunk -- and then got the seat to open --

if none of this works please tell me so I can refund your money ,,I do not want you to pay for something that did not work

Thanks ,,,Chris

look above
I will go try this, we were trying to find the latch, I am single mom, just have a 27 yr/ downs son, so coordinating efforts is a little tricky, I'll give it a shot.

Ok - good luck

Chris

chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
chris
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic