ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Fords. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

I need a spark-plug wiring diagram for a Ford Ranger 6 cylinder,

I need a spark-plug wiring diagram for a Ford Ranger 6 cylinder, the order of connection
Category: Ford
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 9 years ago.
Which year Ranger?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
2001
OK... DEpending on which engine is in your Ranger... 3 different versions of V6 engines...

They are identified by the 8th VIN digit.

Here is the firing orders.

If you need anything else, just let me know!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So how should the wires be connected...... is it like, 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4, 5 to 5 and 6 to 6?
Yes, it would be 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, and 6-6

If you have the 3.0 engine, then it is coil on plug, and there are no wires to connect. You just put the coils on the spark plugs, and plug them in to the engine management harness... and they only go one way, there is really no way to mess them up.

... unless you have a different engine in your Ranger than came from the factory.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well I just change spark-plug wires and it seen to be miss firing. Its a 3.0 V6, rear wheel drive. I have not change the spark plugs, just the wires.....could it be a bad wire or maybe I place a wire. I am going to switch the wires for 4 and 6 (one end only). Do u have any other suggestion that may cause this miss-firing.
The only other thing I can say about the misfiring is Each cylinder is supposed to be treated as a separate engine... Each engine needs spark, fuel and compression to work.

Now, if you have 2 cylinders side by side that are misfiring, then you likely have a gasket blown between them.

Otherwise, you will have to start with checking spark to the cylinders, and compression.
It could be a number of things like vacuum leaks, low compression, clogged injectors, or even bad spark plugs... FYI: plugs and wires are supposed to be changed as a set.