Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ive replaced my EGR valve on my 2001 explorer Sport

I''ve replaced my EGR valve on my 2001 explorer Sport and I have 2 codes that are still showing can you please help other codes that come up are 171 & 174 (System too lean both banks) 402 EGR VALVE Excessive Flow. I''ve taken this car to Pep-Boys and other mom and pop mechanics and can''t get this fixed. until recently I''ve taken it to Advanced Auto Parts and they told me what codes came up on their machine and I have to get this car through inspection this month, I''ve already spent alot of money for nothing.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns by asking questions if needed then suppling a answer. Gaining your TRUST in myself and knowledge is my goal. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online.

• Can you go back over and tell me all which have been done to try and remedy this?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I've taken the car to a mom and pop shop which they told me I need to replace my EGR valve which I've done. That didn't make the engine light go out so I took it to brother in law to check and he confirmed they replaced it, so then I took it to Advanced Auto parts and they ran a diagnonstic and said the same codes were coming up 171 &174 System too lean both banks and 402 EGR valve excessive flow. The car drinks gas like crazy can you tell me what can I do to get this fixed once and for all.

Common causes for your lean codes are low fuel pressure caused by a weak pump or a restricted fuel filter, intake gasket leaks and or vacuum and PCV hose leaks.

We find vacuum leaks by spraying the engine with ether and when a leak is hit the engine will rev.

The P0402 code can also cause your lean condition. The DPFE sensor is normally the cause of EGR valve concerns.

graphic

Here is the ford test for diagnosing 0402.

graphicgraphicgraphic

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I don't understand what you were saying on the first sentence and what is a DPFE sensor? Please explain

The DPF-EGR conrols the EGR valve. I sent a picture of it and its location. You will also see in the test per ford the DPFE is a possible cause in the last test.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So the DPF controls the EGR Valve?
Yes it tells the EGR solenoid how much to move the EGR valve by way of vacuum.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can you send me a picture of the DPF

Here it is again.

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your time...but I have one more question before I let you go....price wise I should replace the DPFE before doing anything else I'm only asking for your opinion I know theres always a chance it may not work.
This is the first step I would take. Once complete then remove the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and if the concern is back in a week then further testing is needed.