Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 2004 ford f-150 5.4 won''t start. it will not even turn

Customer Question
over. my check engine, ETC...
My 2004 ford f-150 5.4 won''t start. it will not even turn over. my check engine, ETC, and battery lights are on. all accessory power equipment works(lights, radio etc.). the battery is good and the cable are tight. when i plugged in an OBD 2 computer, it wasn''t even able to create a link to the computer, so it can''t even tell me trouble codes. what could be causing this?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
8/7/2008
Ford Mechanic: Steve, Sr. Tech replied 9 years ago
Steve
Steve, Sr. Tech
HELLO!
Is the anti-theft light blinking rapidly? RSVP
Steve
Reply to Steve's Post: the only lights that are inlluminated are the three in the original message. i replaced the throttle body assembly right before the truck died. it started before the replacement but when i went to start it after there was nothing. i disconnected the battery during the exchange.
HELLO!
Interior fuse panel. Remove and inspect fuses 1 & 2. If both good I will need to know why you replaced the throttle body.
Steve
hey steve
        i looked at fuses 1 and 2 and they looked intact. the reason i replaced the TB is because at idle speeds like when i would stop at a stop light or slow down and turn, the truck would just shut off. i found that the iac was the problem. but since this truck doesn't have one, i had to replace the whole TB assembly. i wasn't exactly sure if you meant fuses 1 and 2 or relays 1 and 2. if you meant relays then i will have to get back to you tomorrow on that
HELLO!
Glad to have you back online. I just discovered that my 04 data base is bad. I don't know if I should use the 03 or the 05 data. I'm willing to try both if you don't mind or I can reopen your question to the other experts and hope one of them has 04 info. Your choice and no hard feelings on this end.
Steve
i would think that the 05 couldn't be that far off of the 04. i would imagine it would be closer than the 03. so lets try the 05 data. thanks for your help!
HELLO!
Thank you for understanding and I agree that the 05 would be better. Give me a few to look it over and report back.
Steve
HELLO!
Now you get to tell me if your truck looks like the 02-03 or the 05-06 and auto or manual trans.
Steve
my truck looks like the 05. new body style. manual trans
HELLO!
I've looked at the schematic long and hard. I like to keep things simple. You should test for voltage at the 30amp fuse in daylight. Next we will locate a wire connector with just a single Yellow/Light Blue wire as shown below. Disconnect it and inspect the terminals for corrosion and then reconnect. Make sure that it gets fully seated. Let me know.
Stevegraphicgraphic
i checked the wire connector and it looked like it was in pretty good shape. and i checked for power at the 30 amp fuse, which did have voltage. i am not very mechanically knowledgable but i assumed that the 30 amp fuse i was checking was the starter solenoid fuse. please let me know if i was sipposed to check a different one.
HELLO!
SHOOT!
I was hoping for an easy find and repair. From here we get to jumper wires and test connectors and yes things are getting more complicated. Are you comfortable with wiring or is there somebody you can ask for assistance? This would be your call.
Steve
i am a little comfortable with wires and i have a chilton here if that helps. the only real tool have for this is a multi-meter. what else would be required. i am ready and willing.
HELLO!
I will be gentle on you.
At the connector you located...pull it apart and apply a jumper wire from the Positive battery post to the side that goes down to the starter. Do this with the key OFF and trans in neutral!! The engine should turn over. Let me know results.
Steve
i did it and i did turn over. it didn't start, but it definitely turned over
HELLO!
Congrats! We are cooking now. Same connector. Have a helper turn the key to START with clutch depressed. Using your voltmeter at the connector side going toward the firewall and test for 12 volts in the start position. If no volts you will have to follow it back to find the cause like a broken wire or a missed reconnect. Let me know.
Steve
there was no power going to that side of the connector. does that mean that i will just have to trace it back and find the wire that is messed up.
HELLO!
I would like you to start back at the fuseblock. Right next to the 30amp fuse is the 20amp fuse for the starting system. That fuse has to be good and supplying power to the Starter relay. When you turn the switch to the Start position you should hear a click from the Starter relay that's also in that same fuse panel. Let me know.
Steve
i definitely hear a click from the starter relay.
HELLO!
Almost there. The concern is the relay or the wiring out to that connector. Look in the fuse panel for another relay that has the same numbers on it. Swap them and try it with that C134 connected. Don't lose track of which two you swapped.
Steve
i swapped he starter solenoid relay with the high beam real and it did the same thing
HELLO!
Just FIY.
Stevegraphicgraphicgraphic
HELLO!
Now you get to trace the wiring back toward the firewall from the connector. I will post a pic of C110 in just a few.
Steve
thanks for the info. iam a firefighter and i will be on duty for 48 hours starting soon, so i will have to put this on hold until monday morning. sorry if that bothers you but duty calls. i really appreciate everything you are doing for me!!!!
HELLO!
Not a problem. Forget about C110. Just find that bad wire and stay out of the headlines.
Steve
i will look for the bad wire. go ahead with C110
i looked at the wire and it seemed to be all right. it joined a group that went into the PCM. which makes me wonder if something is wrong with the PCM. because when i put and OBD 2 into it. all it did was tell me that it was unable to create a link with the PCM. i also have a programer that is unable to communicate with the computer. where should i go from here?
HELLO!
Let's locate C110 and see if it might have been disconnected when you were doing the battery. See below. Locate/pull it apart and fully reseat it back together.
Stevegraphicgraphic
i checked c-110 it looked fine and it was not loose or disconnected. I pulled it apart and made sure to fully re seat it.
HELLO!
Back to C134 only this time you will have to trace the Ye/Lb wire to the fuseblock. At the fuseblock check for power in Start position it should be hot. If not then replace the fuseblock itself. Let me know.
Steve
Steve
Steve, Sr. Tech
Steve
Steve
Steve, Sr. Tech