Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2005 ford f150 wont shift out of park. brake ...

Customer Question
2005 ford f150 won''t shift...
2005 ford f150 won''t shift out of park. brake lights work and #16 fuse is good.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
7/25/2008
Ford Mechanic: lostrider, Ford Technician replied 9 years ago
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician

Hi rowdy, this is lostrider

~is your truck floor or coloum shift?

this shifter is on the center console. its an automatic
rowdy, there is a small plastic actuator mounted on the base of the shifter housing, we have had to replace some of them for that concern, since the brake lights are working thats gonna be your problem, here is the procedure to replace the actuator.

Brake Shift Interlock Actuator - Floor Shift

Removal

1. Remove the floor console left side kick panel.
  1. graphicLift the console storage lid cover and remove the console finish panel.
  1. graphicDisconnect the transmission shift cable from the arm of the transmission floor shifter.
  1. graphicDisconnect the transmission shift cable from the transmission shift cable bracket on the transmission floor shifter.
  1. graphicRemove the transmission floor shifter screws.
  1. graphicDisconnect the transmission floor shifter electrical connector and remove the shifter from the vehicle.
  1. graphicDisconnect the electrical connector.
    1. Disconnect the overdrive cancel button electrical connector.
    1. Cut the tie strap holding the wire harness to the base of the shifter.
  1. graphicRemove the brake shift interlock actuator.
    1. Remove the bulb from the housing
    1. Cut the tie strap from the wire harness.
    1. Remove the 2 screws and remove the brake shift interlock actuator.

graphic

lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
ok i have taken the actuator out. so i should just need to replace this and put it ll back together?
Yep, when you step on the brake the actuator is supposed to unlock the shifter mechanism, yours is not, just replace the actuator and all should be ok.
ok. after i removed all the covers i hit the braks and the shifter mechanism moved as if too unlock. i just plugged it back in and it work everytime i tapped the brake. could there be another problem?
No because you disterbed the actuator, it will fail again, needs to be replaced to repair your concern.
ok i will try it. thank you very much if i have any other problems i will email you again. you have been most helpful.
your more than welcome, and thank you.
lostrider
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician