Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My lincoln Ls overheats, I have worked around this problem ...

Customer Question
My lincoln Ls overheats, I...
My lincoln Ls overheats, I have worked around this problem by turning the heat on for awhile and then adjust the thermostate down to a comfortable temperture. what do you think the problem may be. I''ve replace the themostate twice.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
7/16/2008
Ford Mechanic: ase_master327, Shop Owner replied 9 years ago
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!

I wrote an article that will run you through a little about 10 minute test procedure that will get you pointed in the riight direction on the overheating problem. I KNOW it has helped ALOT of people, too, because it is ranked #1 on the site (a popular one), as well as Google. I also get 'thank you emails from people almost every day about it.

Anyways, here is the link. If you still need help or instructions for the repair, just let me know what you find.

Ford Mechanic: mustangmike, Ford Technician replied 9 years ago
mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician
there is a very complex bleeding procedure for the LS anytime the cooling system is opened, it's about a 2hr proccess to get the air out. which is what it sounds like you have(an air pocket in your cooling system)

I don't know WHERE that came from...

If there is an air pocket in the system, all you have to do is run the heater on high, and wait until the thermostat opens up, and refill...

PLUS, if there were air bubble in the system, the heater would not get hot...

If you read my article, it tells you all about it.

The system has been bleed several times buy the local lincoln dealer. They checked the water pump, fans and the thermostate. One thing they did not replace is what I believe is the water regulator. This may not be the exact name, but it is under the hood in front of the firewall.

If you have had your lincoln at the dealer for this problem before,and they worked on it, I would take it back to them and tell them they did not repair the problem.

how did they check the water pump, if the impellers are coroded off the shaft, the only way to make sure it is still good is to remove it from the car, i've been reading about customers with water pump problems and cooling fan problems.

and to answer ase_master327's question.

the lincoln LS has 2 seperate heater cores, 2 seperate ac evaporator cores, 2 hot water control valves(with 8 hoses coming off of it),a thermostat, radiator, 2 seperate cooling system air bleeders, several cooling system bipass hoses, and a cooling fan that runs off of power steering fluid.

just running the heater will not get the air out of this system,....believe me!!!

thanks

mike

For Mustangmike, so far this answer comes closer to helping me than the others. The problem with taking it back to the dealer is that when the car was purchased used, I had some of the thing you've suggested done under warranty. When those things were done, this problem re-accured after a few months. After talking to some of the salesman and some mechanics and some lincoln ls owners, it seems that there may be some design flaw with this car. The last suggestion the dealer made was to replace the hot water control valve. But at that time I was so pissed off I refused to pay for anything else with this dealer. When I start my car and let it idle down, there is this sound as though something is either opening or closing. I will then turn on the heat to its highest position 90 degrees. At first the air coming out of the vents is cool, after the air turns warm I can turn the thermostat down to 72 degree and the air conditioner comes on and the car will run ok. If I cut off the car I have to start all over again. If I start the car in the lower degree it will go up to overheating, most times I can adjust the heater up to the 90 degrees and the overhearting will come down.

I see, it could be a number of things,from the radiator being clogged,a water pump with corroded impellors, a cooling fan not cooling properly, or the water valves.

but it sounds like the water valves are working, because it would blow hot air even with the ac on if they stopped working.

this is one of the toughest cars to diag. for everything...

does the engine cooling fan run on high with the ac on? if not i would say the fan is the problem.

the water pump would be my next guess, but it's a fairly expensive fix without knowing for sure.

if your coolant has always been clean and not brown ever, i would rule ou the radiator.

i hope i'm helping you out here.

mike

The fans do blow even when the ac is on. they are very loud and there is this sort of clicking sound. If I turn the system off completly the fans go quiet and that clicking sounds goes away. Also I haven't looked at the coolant myself but when they change out the thermostat there was no mention of brown.Thanks Mike you are sending me in a new direction.
it sounds like the fans are working, i would be inclined to think we're heading towards a waterpump.
what other signs should I be looking for if it is a water pump? There is no leaking ever.

they don't usually leak, it's an internal problem, the only signs are the overheating.

heres a pic of the internals.

graphic

the empellers come off the shaft, then the water can't get moved through the radiator, so your heater cores are acting as the radiator.

Mike I was told that the water pump was checked. That was the last thing the dealer was working on before I thougth it may be time to find another mechanic. Do you think it could be something else? And on this car is the water pump something I can replace my self. Or should I ask if it is a very hard or simple replace

there is no way to tell if the water pump is internally bad, with out taking it off the car.

the pump cost around $75, but this is a hard job,I would leave it to a professional, that knows how to bleed the cooling system after they replace the pump. i would find another dealership to take your car to.

I HOPE MY ANSWER HELPS YOU. PLEASE ACCEPT ME AND LEAVE POSITIVE FEED BACK IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH THE ANSWER I HAVE GIVEN.
THANK YOU MIKE

mustangmike
mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician