Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1996 Ford Ranger: 3.0L..smog..trouble code..camshaft position sensor

I have a 1996 Ford...
I have a 1996 Ford Ranger 3.0L when I did the smog I got trouble code P0340 camshaft position sensor CKT malfuction. So I replaced the camshaft position sensor. I still get the same trouble code. So what does CKT malfunction mean and how can I fix this? I have seached the internet and the only bit of info refering to this is "bank 1 circuit malfunction" so what or where is bank 1 and what circuit?? I would really appreciate any help you could give me.
7/15/2008
AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Customer There ia Ford TSB addressing your concern TSB 02-22-1. It requires using special special tools and diagnostic equipment. It involves the proper alignment of the cam sensor. Since the use of special tools are required I would suggest taking it to your local dealer for correction. I hope this helps, Al

AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Reply to AlvinC's Post: do you have to use the special tool if you only replace the very top part and not the whole shaft assembly?
Customer No you do not need a tool to just replace the sensor. The sensor is mounted on a piece that basically the lower section of a distributor. The cam tells the PCM when #1 cylinder is at TDC so it knows when to start firing the coils and injectors. The tools and diag equipment are required to time this just like distributor in older engines. I hope this helps, Al
so circuit malfunction do they mean the wiring that plugs into the sensor if so what would the proper oms reading be?
Customer Here is the P0340 diag procedure. I hope it helps, Al

graphic

graphic

graphic

Thank you so much for all the great info.
Customer Glad I could help, Al
AlvinC
AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician