Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 4-way flashers do not work but the blinkers work ok

Customer Question
. If I turn on...
My 4-way flashers do not work but the blinkers work ok . If I turn on the blinker and then the turn on the 4- way the blinker stops. 4-ways by themself do nothing. This is on a Class A RV built on a 1989 E350 chasis with the 460 engine.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
7/8/2008
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Have you tried replacing the emergency flasher?

Reply to Ron's Post: Not sure what you mean by this. I assume the Flasher switch is good as it stops the blinkers when it is pulled. I also know the turn signal solenoid is good as the turn signals blink. What I am not familiar with is the circuit that controls the 4-ways. Is this an independent solenoid? Where is it located? Etc....
No on the 1989 there are 2 flashers. The emergency flasher is on the back side of the interior fuse panel right behind the turn signe flasher. Thats where I would start.
Maybe this will helpgraphic
Unfortunately this fuse panel on the e350 rolling chasis was modified for RV use. There are two 3 pin flashers under the hood neer the firewall. On has white green and brown wires the other has red green and brown.

Cand some one explain to me how these might work? should some of these wire be 12v+ when the switch is on?

Enen though it a motor home it still uses 2 flashers. Enclosed is the scamatic.

graphic

Thanks for the schematic, but I already have one from a Haynes Manual I picked up last night. Here is what I know:
1) The turnsignal work fine. The flasher is on the front of the fuse panel as it would be in a standard E350
2) The flasher for the 4-ways IS NOT behind the fuse panel. This has been modified by the RV coach builder.
3) The 4-way flasher now consist of qty2 3 pin flashers located in the engine compartment near the firewall.
4) One of the Flashers has a white, Brown and Green wire. The other has a Red Brown and green wire.
5)none of the wires are hot (+12V) with either the hazard switch on or off.
6) Fuse is good as it is the same one for the brakes and they work.
7) When 4-way switch is pulled on and Brakes are applied, both dash blinker lights illuminate continuously.

So I am asking for a generic trouble shooting procedure. What wires to the flasher(s)should be hot (if any) and when. I need to determine if this is a flasher, or is this a 4-way switch problem.
Aproaching this from another direction, there is a wiring harness of about a dozen wires comming down the steering wheel column that connect with a quick disconect. These must include the 4-ways, the blinkers and the cruise control. Which wires come fom the 4-way switch, and what should I see with an ohm & Volt meter?

Finally, tonight I will buy two new flashers on my way home. I have little hope this will solve the problem as there is no hot 12V to the flashers, but I might as well start by eliminating this possibility

The green/red is the power source at the flasher If you have voltage there the you may have a bad switch. Because its a motor home I don't have a test so I will opt out and realist the question so maybe some else can help.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician