Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

my 2001 ford windstar is leaking brake fluid under the ...

Customer Question

my 2001 ford windstar is leaking brake fluid under the resevoir. my cruise control has stopped working a few months back. i have seen alot of info about the recall that doesn''t include my van but could it be the same problem or something different? there is an electrical wire under the resevoir and it is saturated in brake fluid all the way down through the engine under the resevoir.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

The common reason for this type of leak is a leaking brake pressure switch which mounts to the side of the master cylinder. Unplug it and look inside of it. If its leaking this can cause the cruise to stop working as well. If its dry then suspect a leaking master cylinder.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it is attached to the side of the resevoir? what is under the resevoir i see an electric wire and a little black square piece the wire goes into?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 years ago.
Yes it sticks right out of the side of the master cylinder. The other connector would be the brake reservoir read switch for checking fluid level.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
if the brake pressure switch is leaking then would the brake reservoir read switch be saturated in brake fluid as well?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 years ago.
Yes it likely could be as the fluid runs down. Unplug the connector on the switch (brake) and look inside it. Very common leak.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i tried taking it off but it won't come off. i don't see any clip or anything to keep it from coming off. I did take off the one under the resevoir and it was saturated inside and out.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 years ago.
Then its likely leaking and the reservoir has to be replaced to fix it. Clean it off real well and watch it to be sure.