Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1998 ford ranger: headlights..high beams..light switch..relay

Customer Question
1998 ford ranger-headlights will not...
1998 ford ranger-headlights will not shut off-i think it is the high beams that are on-took the plug off of the light switch-lights are still on-possibly a relay?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
7/7/2008
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Does the truck have day time running lights?

Reply to Ron's Post: yes the truck has day time running lights but the blue icon on dash is lit up unless i push high beam lever-the alarm does work as well if i leave light switch on but when you shut off light switch alarm stops but lights stay on i also am not sure if it is the running lights or high beams that stay on
I suspect if you unplugging the head lamp switch then you have voltage feeding back in the circuit some place. Im enclosing the scamatic. See if they go off if you remove the 12 fuse in the engine compartment.graphic
ron this ranger is canadian-i took all the fuses and relays out 1 at a time and the headlights dont go out-this may seem strange but it does appear that it is the daytime lights that are on-when you turn lights on-(night lights) they do seem brighter but when you push high beam arm forward to put on high beams they seem to go dimmer
It has to be a power supply feeding back in the circuit. Unplug the multi-function and see if you have 12 volts on the LG/Black and the DR/LG
ron-i have to go to work-(millwright)i will try that in morning-if that is the case i may not be able to repair myself-short of replaicing the multi switch-so when i unplug this if it is the multi switch the lights should go out?
If the go out when you unplug it yes repalce the multi-function switch.
ron-i am going to be late for work-on the 7 prong plug i have no lg/blk or dr/lg. i do have 12 volts at a blue/pink wiire wich completes thru a red with blk stripe. this is with key out of ign and light switch off.
The red /Black shoud be dead with the switch unplugged.
ron the red blk is dead with switch unplugged but the blue/pink stripe is not.sorry for being a pain
Where are you seeing the blue/pink wire?
ron-on the 7 prong switch plug-the 4 larger prongs are as follws-red/w-yellow-red/w blk-then-grey/orange-blue/pink
At the multifunction switch the red/ black is power out from the head lamp switch . With the head lamps off what do you have there?
ron-thank you for your help-i just had my wife stand outside as i pulled every fuse out from under hood-i do not have an owners manual-one 15 amp fuse shut them off. i still have night lights and high beams-i just dont have daytime running lights.i assume my daytime module(wherever it is) is my culprit. if your still there let me know what you think. i will wait a while. then i will accept. nothing personal but i hope i dont need you again. thx/again
It could be the DRL modual and Here is location LH Side Of Lower Radiator Support
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician