lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

1997 Ford F150: I have a pinhole leak..block..part number..disconnect

I have a 1997 Ford F150 4.6 Liter and I have a pinhole leak in a tube that seems to come out of the block which attachs to a rubber hose. How can I replace the tube and could I get the part number and possible instruction on how to disconnect it?
Hi Dave and thank you for your question, here is a diagram for you to look at and if this is the same tube, its on the passenger side rear of the intake, sorry to say but that tube is pressed into the intake, the intake manifold will have to be replaced, the part number is XXXXX the cost is approx $440.00, here is the replacement procedure.graphic
Removal
Notes

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Remove air cleaner assembly.
  3. Relieve the fuel pressure.
  4. Drain the cooling system.

graphic

1. Compress and slide the (A) hose clamp and disconnect the (B) upper radiator hose.

graphic

1. Remove the snap-in-end fitting from the accelerator cable bracket.

graphic

1. Disconnect accelerator cable from the throttle body cam.
    1. Roll the throttle body cam forward.
    2. Slide accelerator cable end from the throttle body cam.

graphic

1. Disconnect throttle return spring from throttle body cam.

graphic

1. If equipped, remove the speed control actuator cable from the throttle body.
    1. Remove the speed control actuator cable to accelerator cable bracket bolt.
    2. Disconnect the (A) speed control actuator cable from the (B) throttle body cam and position aside.

graphic

1. Disconnect the throttle body hose connections.
    • Vapor management valve (VMV) hose (A).
    • Engine vacuum reservoir hose (B).
    • Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose (C).
    • Brake booster hose (D).

graphic

1. Remove the (A) brake booster vacuum hose bracket nut and the (B) brake booster vacuum hose bracket.
  2. Disconnect the fuel lines.

graphic

1. Disconnect the following electrical connectors: Idle air control valve(IAC valve) electrical connector (A). Differential pressure feedback EGR (DPFE) transducer electrical connector (B). Engine vacuum regulator (EVR) electrical connector (C). Throttle position (TP) sensor electrical connector (D).

graphic

1. Disconnect the EGR connections.
    • Two DPFE transducer hoses (B).
    • EGR valve to exhaust manifold tube upper fitting (A). EGR valve to exhaust manifold tube lower fitting and remove the EGR exhaust tube (C).

graphic

1. Disconnect the following vacuum connections:
    • EGR vacuum connection (A).
    • VMV vacuum connection (B).
    • Fuel pressure regulator vacuum connection (C).
    • EVR vacuum connection (D).

graphic

1. Disconnect the RH fuel injector electrical connectors.

graphic

1. Disconnect the LH fuel injector electrical connectors.
  2. Disconnect the eight spark plug wires, if necessary.
  3. Remove the drive belt.
  4. Remove the generator (GEN).

graphic

1. Disconnect the following electrical connections:

graphic

1. Remove the (A) three power steering fluid reservoir bracket bolts and the (B) power steering bracket.

graphic

1. Compress and slide the (A) hose clamp back and disconnect the (B) heater water hose.

graphic

1. Remove the intake manifold bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the intake manifold.
    1. Lift the intake manifold.
    2. Disconnect the intake manifold tuning valve (IMTV) electrical connector.
    3. Remove and discard the upper intake manifold gaskets.

graphic

1. Remove the lower intake manifold bolts.

graphic

1. Separate the (A) upper intake manifold from the (B) lower intake manifold and (C) discard the lower intake manifold gasket.

graphic

1. Remove the (A) NVH push pin from the (B) NVH shield and remove the NVH shield from the (C) lower intake.

to install reverse the procedure, here are the tightening sequence and torque specs.

1. Position the (C) lower intake manifold gasket and the (A) upper intake manifold on the (B) lower intake manifold and loosely install eight the lower intake manifold bolts.

graphic

1. Tighten the lower intake manifold bolts in the sequence shown. NOTE: Make sure to tighten the lower intake manifold bolts in two steps.

graphic

1. Position the (A) thermostat housing and start the two (B) thermostat housing bolts. NOTE: Check that the thermostat is in the correct position before thermostat housing is installed.

graphic

1. Tighten the intake manifold bolts in the sequence shown. NOTE: Make sure to tighten the intake manifold in two steps.

graphic

1. Tighten the intake manifold bolts in the sequence shown.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I really appreciate the information about my truck. I hope to have this truck for many many more miles because I live on a very "tight" budget so getting the part to fix this is going to be a strain. I will definately use your service again if I have problems in the future. With the price of gas and mechanic fees I have had to learn how to do many things on my own. Again thankyou for the help.
your very welcome.