Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2001 Ford Taurus: the drivers window..intermittenly..relay clicking

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Ford...
I have a 2001 Ford Taurus and the drivers window intermittenly will not work. Replaced the one touch relay problem still exist. When window won''t work you can still feel the relay clicking. If you wiggle or push on the relay in the fuse block socket you can get it to start working sometimes. Also, door locks will not stay locked when locked with button. Will stay locked if you push you manually lock each door. Lastly, door ajar light stays on sometimes. Are these problems connected?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/21/2008
Ford Mechanic: chris, Ford Mechanic replied 9 years ago
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic

hi there

the next time the power window does not work do this simple test --turn on the key but do not start it ,,, put on the headlamps and the blower motor on high to make draw on the system, ,, now look at the dome lamp in the car and operate the power window in the direction it is not working ,, if you see the dome lamp slightly dim when you push the switch,, then you need a motor ---if not then we have to do more diag ---but it sounds like you have a bad motor ..as for the dome lamp staying on,,,try this open all the doors and grab a can of WD40 ,,spray all the door latch real good ,,soak them ,, and then open and close each door at least 10 times..there are switches in the door latches that turn on the dome lamp and they get dirty and stick,,, if this does not work tell me and we will try to find the switch that is sticking ,,,,,,as for the power door locks this may be caused by the dome lamp switches sticking ,,, so do the WD40 thing and see if the door lock problem also goes away --anymore info just ask me --we can go back and fourth on this page.

Chris

chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
will not be back home to try this until Friday night. I will try the test then and give you the rsults.

Sounds good, if you cant get back to me with in 24 hours, just write back to me and say HI , due to this question will time out .

Chris

I tried your test and the light did not dim. I had the map light on because the dome light bulb is burned out.

well then we will have to do this the hard way ,, you have to remove the l/f door panel and unplug the motor and put a test lamp across the conector two wires on the harness side and tell me if the test lamp lights up when you operate the window up and down ---there are two screws on the bottom of the door panel and two in the center of the door panel and then start at the bottom of the panel and pull it away from the door

graphic

Reply to chris's Post: Could I use a volt meter or do I have to use a test light to put a load on the circuit? Do I un plug the wiring harness at the motor or switch?

you can use a volt meter unplug the motor and leave the power window switch plugged in ,,, put your meter on the power window motor conector ,on the harness side ,, not the motor side ,,,its two wires ,, put one probe on one wire and the other on the other wire and work the switch up and then down ,,, tell me if you get 12 volts up and 12 volts down ...

Chris

My work schedule is picking up and I think I will go ahead and take to the dealer for repair. I appreciate your help.

well thanks,,, I am sorry I was not much help

Chris

I forgot to mention that the door ajar problem went away after I followed your suggestion on spraying them down with WD40.

very good--I am glad I could help

Chris

chris
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic