Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

98 expedition: I need to change the ac clutch..2wd

Customer Question
Hi I need to change...
Hi I need to change the ac clutch on my 98 expedition 4.6 2wd. I was wondering if anyone could post instructions on how to do so.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
5/11/2008
Ford Mechanic: lostrider, Ford Technician replied 9 years ago
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician

REMOVAL
  1. Remove the A/C compressor.

graphic

1. Remove the bolt.
1Hold the A/C clutch hub with the Compressor Clutch Holding Tool.
2Remove the bolt.

graphic

1. Remove the A/C clutch and the A/C clutch hub spacer.
1Thread an 8 x 1.25 mm bolt into the A/C clutch to force it from the compressor shaft.
2Lift the A/C clutch and the A/C clutch hub spacer from the compressor shaft.

graphic

1. Remove the pulley snap ring.

graphic

1. Remove the A/C clutch pulley.

graphic

1. Remove the A/C clutch field coil.
1Note the location of the A/C clutch field coil electrical connector.
2Install the Shaft Protector for Coil Removal on the nose opening of the A/C compressor.
3Install the Differential Side Bearing Puller.
4Remove the A/C clutch field coil.

CAUTION: Do not use air tools. The A/C clutch field coil can be easily damaged.

so I obviously need special tools? Do you know if they can be got at autozone?
Yes, Auto Zone should have them. some of them. here is a list, also you need to make sure the air gap is correct when you put it back together
  1. Measure and adjust the clutch air gap by removing or adding A/C clutch hub spacers.
  2. Install the A/C compressor.
.graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Reply to lostrider's Post: Ok I got that part but how do I get compressor off vehicle? And do I need to press accept now or after you reply back?
  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Recover the refrigerant.
  3. Remove the drive belt.
  4. Turn the air suspension off, if equipped.
  5. Raise and support the vehicle.

graphic

1. Remove the lower radiator air deflector.
1Remove the screws.
2Remove the clips.
3Remove the lower radiator air deflector.

graphic

1. Disconnect the A/C compressor electrical connector.

graphic

1. Remove the manifold and tube assembly.
1Remove the manifold to compressor bolt.
2Remove the manifold and tube assembly.

graphic

1. Remove the A/C compressor.
1Remove the bolts.
2Remove the A/C compressor.

INSTALLATION

graphic

graphic

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
    • Service the replacement A/C compressor with the proper amount of Motorcraft YN-12b refrigerant oil F2AZ-19577-AB or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSH-M1C231B.
1Lubricate the new A/C manifold O-rings with Motorcraft YN-12b refrigerant oil, F2AZ-19577-AB or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSH-M1C231-B.
2Apply Pipe Sealant with Teflon(R) D8AZ-19554-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G350-A2 and ESR-M18P7-A to the threads of the A/C manifold and tube to compressor retaining bolt.

you can accept now or when you get the compressor off, if you dont have a way to recover the freon, you can loosen one of the A/C lines and let it escape in the air, loosen slightly, under high pressure, keep your face away from line, let it bleed itself down, then when repairs are done you will have to take it somewhere to have the system evacuated and recharged.
lostrider
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician