Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2001 Crown Victoria Police: Interceptor..the fuel pump sits..trunk

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Crown...
I have a 2001 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. It looks like the fuel pump sits in a cage on the bottom of the trunk rather than in the car. Is this unique to Police Interceptor''s as the part I bought is for an intank installation.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/6/2008
Ford Mechanic: Steve, Service Manager replied 9 years ago
Steve
Steve, Service Manager

Hello!

The fuel pump is inside the tank; the component you are looking at is most likely the evaporative emission system canister...

The part I am looking at has power going to it which would not be required if it were a evaporative emission system canister. In addition the part has a separate grounding wire going to the frame.

This is my fourth P71 Interceptor, but my first 2001 car. I have never had one with this type of part before. I have replaced the fuel pump in two of them, but this one looks different, as if the pump itself is external to the tank.
My question was not answered regarding the package under my car trunk. As I said in my reply this set up has power going to it, has a plastic body that I have not disassembled but assume to be the pump, and has a grounding cord going from this body to the car frame.

This is my fourth P71 Police Interceptor and it is the first with this particular makeup, hence my decision to turn to you for an answer.

I already own the Ford Service Manual and could see what the standard makeup was, and therefore am asking is this something special about Police Interceptors? Prior to me, the car was owned by the City of Van Woerkom Ohio.
I printed off my Service Manual Section 310-01A and it states that the vapor cannister is up by the left rear tire and is removed when removing the fuel filler pipe.

The item I am talking about is on the bottom of the trunk, has both electrical wires and fuel lines (total of 4 -- 2 in and 2 out) running to it so it is not the vapor cannister. I need to find out what to order from the parts store short of taking in the part and saying -- match this.

I have double checked, and the fuel pump on your Crown Vic police interceptor is definitely located INSIDE the fuel tank; it is the exact same ford part number as for any other crown vic.

The component you are looking at is the evaporative emission system charcoal canister assembly. it is mounted under the rear of the vehicle; on the same bracket is the canister vent solenoid assembly. That is why you see wires and fuel vapor hoses going to it.

if you refer to the illustration I have posted below, I am sure you will see that component #5 is the part you are referring to. this is NOT the fuel pump; you need to remove the fuel tank to access the fuel pump inside.

graphic

Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Steve
Steve
Steve, Service Manager