Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1997 ford ranger: the timing belt broke..liter..replacing

Customer Question
the timing belt broke on...
the timing belt broke on our 1997 ford ranger 2.3 liter. we are in the process of replacing it, but can you tell us which symbol to match up with which symbol to get the timing right?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
5/3/2008
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Enclosed is complete instructions for timing belt replacement on your 1997 2.3

Down load A

Down load B

Down load C

Reply to Ron's Post: RON- WE HAVE JUST FINISHED FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS THAT YOU SENT US, HOWEVER, THE TRUCK IS STILL NOT CRANKING. WE HAVE NOT PUT THE SERPENTINE BELT BACK ON YET. DO WE NEED TO PUT IT BACK ON IN ORDER TO CRANK IT. OR SHOULD IT CRANK WITH IT OFF

When you say cranking , do you me it will not start or it will not turn over? It should turn crank and run with the serp belt off as long as the battery is charged up.

Reply to Ron's Post: RON- IT TURNS OVER IT JUST WILL NOT START
First thing you need to do is recheck your timing marks to make sure they line up and then check and see if you have spark. If both are ok then I would run a compression test on all 4 cylinders. Normal compression is 135 to 145 PSI .
I GUESS WE WILL HAVE TO TAKE TRUCK TO A REPAIR SHOP . WE STIL CAN NOT TO GET IT TO START AND WE HAVE NO WAY TO CHECK COMPRESSION
Did you have spark?
HOW DO WE CHECK FOR THAT
Pull a plug wire off and stick a screw driver in the plug wire and be sure to hold on to the plactic Handel and hold the wire about 1/2 inch away from any good ground on the engine (metal surface). Then have a helper crank the engine over, if you have spark you will see it jump to ground.
OKAY - WE TRIED THIS AND IT APPEARS THAT WE DO NOT HAVE ANY SPARK. WE TRIED THIS ON SEVERLA DIFFRENT WIRES.
ALSO- DURING THIS WHOLE THING WE DID FIND A SPARK PLUG WIRE TAHT WA NOT CONNECTED TO A SPARK PLUG.
WE DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT HAS BEEN OFF. WE HAVE NOT CONNECTED IT BACK YET BECAUSE TEH WIRE IS NOT LONG ENOUGH TO CONNECT TO THE SPARK PLUG.

Did the timing belt break or just doing a maintence replacement?

THE TIMING BELT BROKE, WHILE WE WERE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD.

Because it broke it may have damage the cranshaft sensor, take a close look at it and see if it was hit. If its been damaged it would cause a no spark condiation.

Download location

HOW WILL I KNOW IF THE CRANK SHAFT SENSOR IS DAMAGED
I would start by having a good look at it. Sometime the belt breaking will slap it
SO- IF THERE ANY TYPE SCARRING TYPE MARKINGS ON IT , THEN IT PROBABLY HAS BEEN DAMAGED?
AND IF IT HAS BEEN DAMAGED WOULD THIS KEEP THE TRUCK FROM HAVING ANY SPARK AND ALSO KEEP IT FROM STARTING

If all looks good then run this test.

1. Check the resistance of the crankshaft position sensor. It should indicate a reading of 300-650 ohms.

2. Check alternating current output voltage of the crankshaft position sensor measuring between the two wires of the sensor as the engine is cranking. The sensor should output a reading of at least 0.5 volts alternating current.

3. If the crankshaft position sensor resistance is within range but the alternating current output voltage is low, remove the timing cover and crankshaft pulley, if necessary, to inspect the crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel for broken teeth or a chunk of gasket or timing belt to be wedged between the sensor and trigger wheel.

4. If the sensor resistance and output voltage appear to be OK, swap the circuits in the sensor connection and recheck for the spark and injector pulse. If there is still no spark or injector pulse, swap the circuits back and replace the powertrain control module.

Yes it will cause a no spark and also no injector pulse. .
Make sure to inspect the trigger wheel at the sensor as if it bent or messed up this will not send a proper crank signel.
OKAY - WE HAVE NOW REPLACED TEH CRANK SHAFT SENSOR AND TEH TRUCK STILL WILL NOT START
Did you run the test I sent you and did you inspect the trigger wheel for damage? I didnt tell you to replace it I wanted it tested.
WE DID NOT TEST IT BECASUE WE DID NOT HAVE THE EQUIPMENT THAT WE NEEDED IN ORDER TO TEST IT.
WE REPALCED IT BECAUSE WHEN WE TOOK IT OFF WE COULD TELL THERE WAS A GOOD BIT OF DAMAGE TO IT.
CAN YOU TELL US WHERE TO LOCATE THE TRIIGER WHEEL
The trigger wheel is part of the crankshaft pulley, it has teeth on it.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician