Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1995 f350: I am doing an oil change..crew cab..7.3 diesel..oil filter

Customer Question
I am doing an oil...
I am doing an oil change on my 1995 f350 crew cab 4x4 7.3 diesel. when I took off the oil filter a spring a what looks like a fiber type disc and a washer came out. I don''t know what order to put back in and if the small hole off to the side is the proper place. Also not sure if there are other pieces that might of gone down into the oil I just removed.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
4/27/2008
Ford Mechanic: MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
MikeB85
MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

Are you talking about the spring and washer inside the filter? This is a bypass valve. What brand of oil filter are you using?

Thanks. Let me know and I will see if I can help you out.

Reply to MikeB85's Post: the filter is a warner LFP2286. I do not think that the parts are from the filter. There is the 1 1/2 inch threaded opening for the filter to screw onto and then there is a dime size opening just off to the side inside were the rubber oil filter seal would seat. the spring fits inside that hole but washer is to big. I did not try to see if the fiber disc would fit for fear of not being able to get it back out

I am going to hand you over to another expert. Some one will be with you shortly.

Reply to MikeB85's Post: Do I need to do something while waiting for another expert to get back to me
No. Sorry someone should be with you shortly.
Ford Mechanic: ase_master327, Shop Owner replied 9 years ago
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner

That is the anti drainback valve...The oil filter adapter is bad.

The only way this thing would blow out is if there were a serious restriction in the lubrication system, like a clogged oil filter...

This valve keeps oil in the top of the engine while it is not running, so it doesn't run the engine with the top end 'out of oil', until the pump gets it up there.

can i put it back together and if so how
I have not received an answer to my question. do i get my money back or what. I would rather have an answer so I can fix my truck

You have to change the oil filter adapter to fix it.

You have not actualy paid anything until you click Accept, either...

ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
ase_master327
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner