ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Fords. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

How do you change the starter on a 2001 ford focus

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 9 years ago.
There are no pictures, but here are the instructions. It can be done in about 30 minutes, so it's not too bad at all.
Instructions are a little different for single and double cam engines, depending on which one you have, I have included both.

2.0L Engines

SOHC ENGINES

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.

3. Remove the two top starter motor bolts.

4. Raise the car and support it with safety stands.

A protective cap is covering the B terminal and must be replaced after servicing the starter motor or solenoid.

1. Tag and disengage the S terminal wire and the B terminal nut and cable from the solenoid.

2. Unfasten the lower starter motor bolt and remove the assembly from the car.

To install:

1. Install the starter motor assembly and tighten the lower mounting bolt to 18-20 ft. lbs. (25-27 Nm).

2. Attach the S terminal wire, B terminal cable and nut. Tighten the nut to 80-120 inch lbs. (9-13.5 Nm).

3. Lower the car and install the top starter motor bolts. Tighten the bolts to 18-20 ft. lbs. (25-27 Nm).

4. Install the air cleaner outlet tube.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

DOHC ENGINES

2. Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.

3. Raise the car and support it with safety stands.

4. Unfasten the lower starter motor bolt.

5. Lower the car and unfasten the two starter motor upper bolts.

6. Raise the car and support it with safety stands.

7. Slide the starter motor from its mounting until you can gain access to the wiring.

8. Unfasten the nuts and remove the integral connector.

9. Remove the starter motor from the car.

To install:

1. Install the integral connector and tighten the retaining nuts to 61 inch lbs. (7 Nm).

2. Engage the starter motor to its mounting.

3. Lower the car and install the two starter motor upper bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm).

5. Install the lower starter motor bolt. Tighten the bolt to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm).

6. Lower the car and install the air cleaner outlet tube.

7. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This doesn't tell me where the starter is. I've looked in the area where the directions and i still have not found it. I guess I will have to take my car to a ford dealership to have it replaced.
The starter is up under the intake manifold in the back of the engine under the car, bolted to the transmission.