Steve
Steve, Sr. Tech
Experience:  20 years as a FORD dealership tech
5096800

my 1997 ford expedition wont start. when it ...

my 1997 ford expedition won''t start. when it first happened and I turned the key it made a clicking noise repeatedly. now when I turn the key it only clicks once. when I open the door it also makes a clicking noise and the interior lights blink on and off. any ideas of what this might be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.
..HELLO!
What you describe so well is a dead or bad battery. Remove and clean both battery cables and reconnect.Try to recharge the battery with a battery charger. If it takes a charge and the truck will run for awhile (30 min or so) with a full charge then we have to look at the charging system. If it doesn't take a charge then replace the battery.
Steve
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have already cleaned both cables, I also tried jumping it, charging it and replacing it w/a brand new battery. Nothing has worked. Barbara
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.
..HELLO!
With the new battery or when jumping it..do the interior lights still blink?
Steve
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Steve's Post: I dont know. I will try again and get back to you. Sorry for taking so much of your time, I have also been having computer problems and cant always access my mail. Barbara
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.
..HELLO!
Let me know.
Steve
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I finally broke down and brought it to my mechanic. He changed the starter and a corroded cable from the cellanoid. It cost me $356.00. Thanks anyway for your help. Barbara