Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1998 FORD E350 7.3 L DIESEL VAN. BATTERIES DO NOT STAY CHARGED.

Customer Question
I HAVE 1998 FORD...
I HAVE 1998 FORD E350 7.3 L DIESEL VAN. BATTERIES DO NOT STAY CHARGED. REPLACED ALTERNATOR AND BOTH BATTERIES
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
3/24/2008
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 9 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Do you own a volt meter?

Has any testing been performed?

How long must the vehicle sit before the batteries go dead?

Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: I have a voltmeter
Shop tested batteries and alternator. said when truck was off batteries were going to ground.
Truck goes dead in couple of days. Will start if i run the vehicle everyday.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct. Be aware it is difficult to fix concerns associated with noises and smells over the net, but I will do my best. Diagrams are often copied from other websites. I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee (which you selected). Please reply if further discussion is needed.

Ok you have verified you have a parasitic draw which is discharging the batteries. You will need to follow this test which will require the use of the volt meter and removeing fuses to see which circuit is drawing power.

graphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Basically,I put the ammeter inline between the neg cable and the negative post. I should have an exessive draw ( 50 MA). Then i remove one fuse at a time to find the one with the high draw.
It would be very nice if the image could be printed bigger

I will make it bigger.

graphicgraphicgraphic

I will try this weekend
Thank you very much
Your welcome
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician