Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  28 years as Tech.
8606210

1985 FORD CROWN VICTORIA: FUEL PUMP OR THE FUEL FILTER CLOGGED

HAVE A 1985 FORD CROWN VICTORIA FUEL INJ. ENGINE CUTS OUT ALL OF THE SUDDEN LIKE IT IS STARVED FOR FUEL, COULD IT BE THE FUEL PUMP OR THE FUEL FILTER CLOGGED ?    RICHARD A.
When you say it cuts out, does it quite running? If it does, does it restart right away?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
HELLO VINCENT, YES IT QUITES RUNNING AND IT WILL START UP RIGHT AWAY. SOME TIMES IT WILL RUN O.K. FOR AWHILE THEN IT WILL QUIT WHILE DRIVEING. THIS CAR SAT FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME AND WAS NOT DRIVEN MUCH, THIS MAKES ME THINK THAT IT MAY BE OLD BAD GAS THAT MAY BE CLOGGING THE PUMP OR THE FILTER? WHAT DO YOU THINK? THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD THE CAR SMOGGED TESTED JUST TWO DAYS BEFORE I PURCHASED IT, AND IT PASSED O.K. THE CAR IS IN GREAT SHAPE ASIDE FROM THIS PROBLEM. HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME. THANKS VINCENT. YOUR FRIEND RICHARD ALEGRE.

It actually just may be the old bad gas. If the fuel is that bad, the engine won't run right. I would not think that it is the fuel pump, because the engine runs. I would drain all the fuel and replace the fuel filter. It is possible that the fuel filter is clogging, but that normally results in a lack of power at high throttle openings and rpm's.

Start with getting the bad fuel out of the car.

When it dies is it mosly at idle? Or when you are coming to a stop? Or is it when you are going down the road that is dies?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
HI VINCENT, AT TIMES I WILL START UP ENGINE AND LET IT RUN,AFTER A SHORT TIME IT WILL START TO ACT LIKE IT IS RUNNING OUT OF GAS AND QUIT RUNNING. AT TIMES IT WILL QUIT WHEN I COME TO A STOP, AND SOME TIMES WHILE DRIVEING. THE PREVIOUS OWNER TELLS ME THAT HIS MECHANIC AT ONE TIME THAT TOLD HIM THAT HE THINKS IT COULD BE THE THROTTLE BODY STICKING. ?? MEAN TIME I"LL LOOK INTO FUEL FILTER AND GAS. I"LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND. RICHARD.

Richard:

Could you give me a little more info about your car. Which injection system does it have on it Port or throttle body?

In other words: Is there an injector for each cylinder. Or is there 2 injectors in the throttle body? Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
HI VINCENT, I BELIEVE WE FOUND THE PROBLEM. I CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER AND THE CAR IS RUNNING GOOD NOW. THE OLD FILTER DID HAVE SOME BACK PRESSURE. THANKS FOR YOUR INFO. RICHARD.