Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1998 explorer: cranks..wont start..replaced fuel pump,filter,relay.

1998 explorer cranks but wont...
1998 explorer cranks but wont start . replaced fuel pump,filter,relay. will run on starting fluid so ignition works. where do I go now?
3/12/2008
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct. Be aware it is difficult to fix concerns associated with noises and smells over the net, but I will do my best. Diagrams are often copied from other websites. I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee (which you selected). Please reply if further discussion is needed.

This may take a few back and forth conversations.

Here is some stuff to check.

If you have a PATS theft system then it can disable the fuel. The light should flash on the dash with the key out. With the key in the run position the light should come on solid and stay out permanent not flash rapid.

You need to see if you are getting fuel pressure to the fuel rail by checking it with a gauge.

Make sure the fuel reset is not tipped

Check the injector pulse. With the key in run one wire will have power and the other wire will get a pulse ground signal from the PCM. You can wire in a 12 volt bulb to one injector and crank the engine to see if it flashes. The PCM uses the cam sensor to determine injector pulse timing

chris-fuel pressure at rail-pats key shouldnt allow starter to run-i dont recall hearing the injectors firing-is cam sensor on stub to drive oil pump? where is fuel reset?motor will run on   starting fluid sprayed in air duct sounds
like no signal to injectors- vehicle has been trouble free for 115,000 mi - help randy

The PATS can disable crank or fuel or spark. It is differnt on every vehicle. My super duty disables spark but still cranks. Fuel reset is not a cause now since you stated you do have fuel pressure.

Cam sensor is above the water pump in front of the intake

Dont forget to check injector pulse as well. previously outlined steps to check

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician