Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2004 f150: extended cab..cab 4x4..towing package and a gooseneck hitch

I have a 2004 f150 extended cab 4x4 titan with a towing package and a gooseneck hitch in the bed. We are buying a horse trailer. What approx. is the max weight it can pull safely without damaging the transmission or the engine.

Look in your drivers door jam and give me the code under axle?

Is it a super cab or crew cab?

Long or short wheel base?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
CREW CAB, LONG WHEEL BASE,
CODE UNDER AXLE H9
VIN # XXXXX

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct. Be aware it is difficult to fix concerns associated with noises and smells over the net, but I will do my best. Diagrams are often copied from other websites. I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee (which you selected). Please reply if further discussion is needed.

OK you have a 3.55 limited slip axle and according to your vin# XXXXX have a super cab 4.6L not a 5.4 crew cab. Your max towing capacity is going to be 6,000 lbs.

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
DOES THE TOWING PACKAGE,THE GOOSENECK HITCH AND ADDING EXTRA HELPER SPRINGS UNDER THE REAR NOT ADD ANY ANY MORE THAN THE LISTED WEIGHT IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.
Adding springs will only increase payload which is the amount the vehicle can be pushed down by a trailer hitch and bed loads. This will not change the amount it can pull. The engine size and transmission and braking caculate up the towing capacity. Your vehicle will get damaged if trying to pull more than 6k
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THANK YOU!!!
Your welcome