Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My 1999 Ford Explorer gear shift indicator on dash ...

My 1999 Ford Explorer gear shift indicator on dash moved one position over last night. If it says Drive, you are in neutral, etc. My Explorere has 101,000 miles on it. The vehicle shifts fine itself, but I am not sure what has happened and how to fix it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

You need to remove the tilt lever and then remove the lower steering column shrould phillips head screws. now turn the ignition to the run position and under the ignition cylinder is a small hole which you press a pick into to press a detent ball and allow key cylinder removal. Now remove the upper shroud. Now you can see the adjuster wheel to synchronize your shifter with indicator. Most likely this wheel or holder has broken.