Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have an 94 Ford Econoline van E150. It wont start.

Customer Question
Changed the distributor, Spark plugs,module...
I have an 94 Ford Econoline van E150. It wont start. Changed the distributor, Spark plugs,module. It still wont start
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
1/6/2008
Ford Mechanic: Larry, Technical Editor replied 9 years ago
Larry
Larry, Technical Editor
If you replace the distributor and the ignition module and are still not getting any spark at the spark plugs, the problem could be a bad ignition coil, a bad ignition switch, or a bad wiring connector somewhere in the circuit.

Do this first: Check for voltage at the coil positive terminal when you turn the key on. If you have voltage, current is flowing through the ignition switch to the coil. If there is no voltage, they the fault is in the ignition switch circuit (check the wires and fuses, if okay replace the switch -- or try pypassing the switch with a fused jumper wire to get voltage to the coil to see if it will start).

If the coil is getting voltage, turn the key off and measure the coil primary and secondary resistance with an ohmmeter. The primary resistance between the positive and negative terminals is usually about 0.5 to 2.5 ohms. If it reads open or significantly higehr, replace the coil. The secondary resistance is measured between the coil positive and the high voltage terminal. It is typically 15,000 to 25,000 ohms. If it reads open or a lot higher, replace the coil.

If the coil has votlage when the key is on, but you are still getting no spark when you crank the engine, there must be a bad wiring conenction between the ignition module and distributor.

If you have spark but the engine is not starting, the engine is not gettign enough fuel pressure or maybe no fuel at all. Check the fuel pump fuse and relay, and listen for the pump to run for a few seconds when the key is first turned on.
Larry
Larry
Larry, Technical Editor