How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Auto Service Technician
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 364
Experience:  Ford engine , airconditioning, drivabillity and electrical specialist
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1997 Ford Explorer: hose..the water pump or remove the intake manifold

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 L SOHC.I need to replace the ''''by-pass'''' hose in the cooling system. This is the section of hose (about 3'''' long by 1'''' diameter)that connects the thermostat/housing to the water pump. What are the ways, perhaps the best way, to install this hose?Do I remove the water pump or remove the intake manifold to gain access to the thermosat housing? The thermostat housing seems to be bolted to something, like the engine, does not appear to be removable without taking off the intake manifold.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 years ago.
Hello Baron, I have never removed the intake. although it dos make it easier. Normally you just use an extension with a wobble socket to remove the cover of the housing. Remove the top hose and when you remove the cover it will come off of the water pump hose.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Your suggestion did not help/work.   While the upper part of the housing did come off with the removal of three screws and a hose, the lower part of the housing is what connects to the hose/water pump, firmly connected to the engine with at least three screws and perhaps two sensors, these screws are perhaps even harder to remove.
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 years ago.

If this is the bypass hose you are trying to remove all we ever do is remove the belt so you can undoe the two hose clamps and pull the hose off. if you need to remove the senser housing than you would have to remove the intake.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This seemed plausiable, at least at first.   The nipples from the water punp and the lower housing are very long.   And the clearance between this is slight(about 3/4'').   I gave up in the beginning trying to shove 3'' of 1'' diameter hose onto a 1'' nipple through a 3/4'' space.   The 3'' long hose did not want to co-operate, that is why I asked the question in the first place.   What component do I remove to accompolishe this task.   The water pump or the thermostat housing?   
It appears that you are capable of crushing a 3'' long hose into a 2'' long space.   Is this what you are inferring?   What magic trick do you use to accompolishe this task?
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 years ago.
I would try using some silicone spray or some type of lube first on the hose. If that doesnt work the upper intake would be easier but you will need a 30 torques bit socket and driver to do this. If you do have the socket I would see if I could use it and a universal joint to loosen up the bolts holding down the senser housing first to see if that will give you enough play to install the hose. If not it will have to come off after you remove the intake so there is really no extra work. If you remove the upper intake you should buy a gasket. Also how many miles are on your explorer, Does it run rough in the morning And was the coolant real nasty, let me know because ther are some additional things you should do if you decide to go this far.