How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask stefano Your Own Question
stefano, Auto Service Technician
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 437
Experience:  I have been an auto mechanic for 15 years, 12 years with Ford. ASE Master and Ford certified.
Type Your Ford Question Here...
stefano is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2004 ford explorer. we have blinking overdrive light. codes ...

Resolved Question:

2004 ford explorer. we have blinking overdrive light. codes indicate that torque converter clutch solenoid is bad. vin# XXXXX what type of transmission does it have? can it be repaired and how?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  stefano replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer You have a 5R55S transmission. These have a common problem with the valve body. This is most likely what needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Please explain what you mean by the valve body? And how hard is that to replace on my own? Thanks
Expert:  stefano replied 10 years ago.

HiCustomer The valve body contains all the shift solenoids and most of the electronics for the trans. It is not hard to replace for an experienced tech, but may be difficult for someone who has not done it before. The most critical part is torquing the new valve body down, and lining it up. It is located above the trans pan. I do not recommend this for a beginner. I have attached the directions.


Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to stefano's Post: one last question...we were told the torque converter clutch solenoid was replacing the valve pan...are these parts included in the valve pan? just want to make sure that I would purchase all the needed parts. thanks
Expert:  stefano replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer You can do it both ways. You can just replace the solenoid or you can replace the valve body. The valve body replacement is recommended because Ford has updated the valve body due to the many problems it has. Ask the parts people at the dealership to make sure.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
is it reccomended to replace both to elemonate any doubt
Expert:  stefano replied 10 years ago.

HiCustomer I have double checked the Ford website and have found they have superseded the old TSB with a new one. I would just replace the solenoid pack, it is easier and cheaper. The valve body you have should be the updated one. If you do need to change the valve body later, you will just lose on the labor, but if you are doing it yourself, it should be no big deal. The solenoid pack can be replaced in a couple of hours. I have attached the TSB.


stefano and other Ford Specialists are ready to help you