Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Focus: overheating..leak..the coolant casing..couldnt find

Customer Question
Ford Focus 2001 SW had...
Ford Focus 2001 SW had overheating problem with slow loss of coolant. No apparent leak. Mechanic claimed the coolant casing developed small cracks, where the thermostat is seated, but I couldn't find any on the discarded part. It cost me $400.00 for parts and labor. Is there a history of cracks developing in the thick plastic casing.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Ford
8/10/2007
Ford Mechanic: Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech replied 10 years ago
Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Yes that is a very common problem on Focus engines. You might of got stuck on the price if that's all they did. What was the break down parts and labor? Give me part number too.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appears sincere, knowledgable and is close by for future problems. The #s stamped on the thermostat housing are PA6630gf or N8U4A.

He has the part listed as MAG-8542BD and $80.36. also MAG-8542AC "connection" at $45.28. Thermostat MAG 8575-LA at 18.50. 1 O-ring $10.97 He does have $85 an hr. listed and this is NJ so thats ball park around here. He also replaced the thermostat and O rings.
Parts $158
Labor $215
plus tax
P.S. the car has 93K miles.

You were overcharged. Parts are excessive, you could have bought Ford parts [ford list shown]cheaper than that. It matters if you have a single cam or DOHC but anyway..orings come with our housings.. Labor excessive by at least a half hour [he charged you 2.5 hrs] Then what is his warranty? Ford's is 12 K or 12 months on repairs. Didn't put new antifreeze in?

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Glenn
Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech