Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Concerning 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9L engine w/dual fuel

Customer Question
pumps. Vehicle will often quit...
Concerning 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9L engine w/dual fuel pumps. Vehicle will often quit running on the road. Upon attempting restart, there is no fuel pump sound detected. Pump relay can be heard clicking as igniton switch is turned on. After setting for sometime.(2 plus hrs.) fuelpump(s) will activate and vehicle will start. Condition has been occurring since engine cleaning. In tank pump has been previously replaced after failure.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/26/2007
Ford Mechanic: Fordster, Ford Technician replied 10 years ago
Fordster
Fordster, Ford Technician
Will this happen regardless of which tank is being used?
There is only one tank. Two fuel pumps. One in-tank(volume) and one frame mounted(pressure) as I understand the design. When problem occurs, neither pump can be heard to be running.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Your going to have to locate the fuel pump relay from the diagram below. Unplug the relay and jump the orange with lt blue and the yellow wires and see if the pump starts. If it does not, then the problem is from there back, if it does, then the problem is from the relay forward and we'll diagnose accordingly.

Also test all the sockets for power with the key on amd let me know which wires are powered.

graphic

graphic

Fordster
Fordster, Ford Technician
Reply to Fordster's Post: Thanks. Your answer looks helpful. However, as the vehicle is not on sight, it may be a day or two before I can get back at you. I am not sure if I should accept now or wait until I do the testing as you suggest and relay the answers back to you.
You can do it either way. If you accept no, you can reopen the question at any time and I will follow up.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been most helful. I will accept and get back to you later. Mj
Fordster,

Had a chance to stop by the location of the Ranger. While it would not start last night, one turn of the key this morning had it running. However it did run rough and did so for about 10 minutes prior to idling way down and then stalling. You guessed it. No pump indication(sound) nor start. Had time only to check the relay, as you suggested, amd the pump(frame mt.?) could be heard to be whirring away. Did so each time I touched the terminals with a jumper. After 4 or 5 times the pump could not be heard as if it was at full pressure in the system. Honestly have not had time to check all connections as you suggested.

Any further thoughts from you,with the above added info?

Thanks, Mj

The pump never shuts down. It's a bypass system that reaches full pressure in a couple seconds.

You really need a fuel pressure gauge to know what that pump is or isn't doing but it sounds like a bad pump. It could be either pump too. The frame pump could be supplying pressure but have no supply from the tank pump.

Relist: I still need help.
Have not checked fuel pressure as yet. Did jump relay again today. Pump came on. Turned on key pump ran and truck started. Ran 2 or 3 mintues then abrubtly stalled. No Pump sound via key on or relay jump. Have yet to check available connections and wonder if something in the wiring could be a problem or do you still lean toward bad pump(s)
Thanks,
Mj
You've pretty much proven the pump is bad. The only thing left is the wire from the relay to the Inertia switch, the Inertia switch and the wire from there to the pump but the only thing that would likely act that way is the pump.
Fordster
Fordster
Fordster, Ford Technician