Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

how to replace a timming belt for a 2001 ford ranger with ...

Customer Question
how to replace a timming...
how to replace a timming belt for a 2001 ford ranger with a 2.3 L engine and where are the timming marks and how to line them up together ?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Ford
6/29/2007
Ford Mechanic: Marc, Technician, Auto, Diesel replied 10 years ago
Marc
Marc, Technician, Auto, Diesel

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Ford Ranger
2.3L (VIN A) AND 2.5L (VIN C) ENGINES
  1. Rotate the engine so that No. 1 cylinder is at Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke. Check that the timing marks are aligned on the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys. An access plug is provided in the cam belt cover so that the camshaft timing can be checked without removal of the cover or any other parts. Set the crankshaft to TDC by aligning the timing mark on the crank pulley with the TDC mark on the belt cover. Look through the access hole in the belt cover to be sure that the timing mark on the cam drive sprocket is aligned with the pointer on the inner belt cover.

NOTE: Always turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation. Backward rotation may cause the timing belt to jump time, due to the arrangement of the belt tensioner.

2. Drain cooling system. Remove the upper radiator hose as necessary. Remove the fan blade and water pump pulley bolts.

CAUTION
    When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.

3. Loosen the alternator retaining bolts and remove the drive belt from the pulleys. Remove the water pump pulley.
  4. Remove the power steering pump and set it aside.
  5. Remove the 4 timing belt outer cover retaining bolts and remove the cover. Remove the crankshaft pulley and belt guide.
  6. Loosen the belt tensioner pulley assembly, then position a camshaft belt adjuster tool T74P-6254-A, or equivalent, on the tension spring roll pin and retract the belt tensioner away from the timing belt. Tighten the adjustment bolt to lock the tensioner in the retracted position.
  7. If the belt is to be reused, mark the direction of rotation on the belt for installation reference.
  8. Remove the timing belt.
  9. graphic

To install:

1. Install the new belt over the crankshaft sprocket and then counterclockwise over the auxiliary and camshaft sprockets, making sure the lugs on the belt properly engage the sprocket teeth on the pulleys. Be careful not to rotate the pulleys when installing the belt.
  2. Release the timing belt tensioner pulley, allowing the tensioner to take up the belt slack. If the spring does not have enough tension to move the roller against the belt (belt hangs loose), it might be necessary to manually push the roller against the belt and tighten the bolt.

NOTE: The spring cannot be used to set belt tension; a wrench must be used on the tensioner assembly.

WARNING
    If any binding is felt when adjusting the timing belt tension by turning the crankshaft,

STOP turning the engine, because the pistons may be hitting the valves.

3. Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete turns by hand (in the normal direction of rotation) to remove slack from the belt. Tighten the tensioner adjustment to 26-33 ft. lbs. (35-45 Nm) and pivot bolts to 30-40 ft. lbs. (40-55 Nm). Be sure the belt is seated properly on the pulleys and that the timing marks are still in alignment when No. 1 cylinder is again at TDC/compression.
  4. Install the crankshaft pulley and belt guide.
  5. Install the timing belt cover.
  6. Install the water pump pulley and fan blades. Install the upper radiator hose if necessary. Refill the cooling system.
  7. Install the accessory drive belts.
  8. Start the engine and check the ignition timing. Adjust the timing, if necessary.
Marc
Marc
Marc, Technician, Auto, Diesel