drobbi
drobbi, auto mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience in ford automotive field from drivability to diesel
4799798

I HAVE A 2000 MERCURY SABLE AND IT HAS A BLOWN HEAD GASKET

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  drobbi replied 10 years ago.

HiCustomer I have an approximate estamation. If the heads are ok I would say your looking at 500 dollars at the least. This would also depend on the mechanic and his labor rate. Our labor rate at my dealership is about 85 dollars an hour. If you have a 3.0 liter or a 3.0 dohc the labor times will variey. A dohc may require engine removal whitch could be even more. My best advise would be to shop around and be wiery of fly by night mechanics. Sometimes you get what you pay for! A dealer may be more expensive but they know your car and will stand behind there work. There are good mechanics that are not at dealers, you just got to find them. I would get at least three or four quotes before a decision. Also if your going to do it do it right . Dont cut cornersand say not have heads check for warpness or have new seals put in while the heads are off. This can be costly and can bite you in the long run. You dont want to pay to have them go back in because they didnt check the heads or replace a gasket. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions dont hesitate to email me!

thanks

drobbi