Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How do I set correct timing for Zetec 2.0 DOHC VCT

Customer Question
After replacing Timing belt on...
After replacing Timing belt on Zetec 2.0 DOHC VCT engine is hard to start and then idles erraticly, runs better when I rev-up engine. I read article about same situacion and advisor suggested fixing VCT mechanism if exhaust cam was turned counterclockwise (I did it for about 15 degrees in 2 or 3 attempts to align both cams). how do I bring the VCT mechanism back to normal??
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Ford
4/14/2007
Ford Mechanic: Fordster, Ford Technician replied 10 years ago
Fordster
Fordster, Ford Technician

Here is the procedure for setting the cams on that engine. It does requires a couple special tools.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 10

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: If you plan on reusing the timing belt, make sure you note the direction of the rotation before removal

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: If the special tool is unavailable, a suitable length and width straight edge can be used to align the camshafts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Camshaft alignment using the special service tool

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Insert the crankshaft damper bolt to turn the crankshaft and ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: ... align the camshafts and the ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: ... crankshaft before removing the old belt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Loosen the timing belt tensioner pulley bolt, slide the tensioner back and ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: ... tighten the bolt to the farthest right hand side as possible to hold the release the tensioner pulley so that the belt can be removed

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: ... remove the belt starting from around the camshaft pulleys

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Installation of the tensioner spring and retaining bolt

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the timing belt covers as outlined in this Section.

3. Remove the valve cover.

4. Place Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH or equivalent, into the slots of both camshafts at the rear of the cylinder head to lock the camshafts into position.

If the special tool is unavailable, a suitable length and width straight edge can be used to align the camshafts.

1. Loosen the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt and move the tensioner pulley to relieve the tension on the timing belt.

2. Temporarily tighten the tensioner in this position.

If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the belt for the direction of rotation before removing to prevent premature wear or failure.

1. Remove the timing belt.

2. If required, remove the sprockets as follows:

1. Hold the camshaft with an appropriate camshaft sprocket holding tool.

2. Loosen and remove the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt.

3. Remove the sprocket from the camshaft.

4. Repeat the procedure for the 2nd camshaft sprocket.

5. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.

3. Slide the crankshaft sprocket onto the crankshaft aligning the key-way.

4. Align the camshafts using the Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH.

1. Reinstall the sprockets onto the camshafts and loosely install the camshaft retaining bolts.

2. Tighten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .

3. Loosely install the crankshaft pulley to verify that the engine is at TDC. Realign the marks if they have moved.

4. Verify that the camshafts are aligned.

It is recommended to purchase a tensioner spring and retaining bolt through the dealer parts to apply the proper tension for used or new belt installations. The spring is bolted to the tensioner assembly and becomes a part of the engine. Ignore this notice if the tensioner spring is already installed.

1. Reinstall the retaining bolt (W700001-S309) into the hole provided in the cylinder block and place the tensioner spring (6L277) between the bolt and the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley.

2. Tighten the retainer bolt to 71-97 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm) .

3. Remove the crankshaft pulley and install the timing belt onto the crankshaft sprocket, then onto the camshaft sprockets working in a counterclockwise direction.

4. Tighten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .

5. Be sure that the span of the camshaft timing belt between the crankshaft sprocket and the exhaust camshaft sprocket is not loose.

6. Be sure that the camshaft timing belt is securely aligned on all sprockets.

7. Reinstall the lower timing belt cover and tighten the retaining bolts to 53-71 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm) .

8. Apply silicone sealer to the key-way of the crankshaft pulley and install. Tighten the retaining bolt to 81-89 ft. lbs. (110-120 Nm) .

9. Inspect the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley to verify that the engine is still at TDC.

10. Loosen the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt and allow the tensioner spring attached to the pulley to draw the tensioner pulley against the camshaft timing belt.

11. Remove the camshaft alignment timing tool from the camshafts at the rear of the engine.

12. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions in a clockwise direction.

13. Tighten the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt to 26-30 ft. lbs. (35-40 Nm) .

14. Recheck that the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC for the No. 1 piston, and that both camshafts are in alignment using the camshaft alignment timing tool.

A slight adjustment of the camshafts to allow the insertion of the camshaft alignment timing tool is permissible as long as the crankshaft stays at the TDC location.

1. An appropriate camshaft sprocket holding tool can be used to move the camshaft sprocket (s) if a slight adjustment is required.

2. If a camshaft is not properly aligned, perform the following procedure:

1. Loosen the retaining bolt securing the sprocket to the camshaft while holding the camshaft sprocket from turning with the sprocket holding tool.

2. Turn the camshaft until the camshaft alignment timing tool can be installed.

3. Verify that the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.

4. While holding the camshaft sprocket with the camshaft sprocket holding tool, tighten the retaining bolt to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .

5. Remove the tool and rotate the crankshaft two revolutions (clockwise) .

6. Verify that the camshafts are aligned and that the crankshaft is at TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.

3. Install the valve cover.

4. Install the timing belt covers.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

This is not an answer to my question. You are not considering at any time the Variable Camshaft Timing device my question is specific about. I had already installed new timing belt when i posted my question. You did not answer my question.
The VCT operates through a hydraulic unit in one of the cam pulleys. The timing belt rerplacement process has a step that centers that in it's travel and the cam sensor and PCM take over from there. There isn't anything else you can to to that system.
Reply to Fordster's Post: It happens that none of your answers helped me because none tell me how to fix my engine, I've had no car for 3 weeks now and I refuse to be raped by the Ford Dealer. My timing belt broke, I replaced it and set timing as specified in my book (about the same procedure in your first reply except that the book tells me how to work aroung the Variable Timing Camshaft). I had to turn the exhaust cam in both directions to align it but every time and turn the crankshaft (2 turns) to verify, the exhaust is no longer alingned, you can hear the hydraulic system inside the sprocket sucking and squeezing air and oil. I thought the computer will adjust it once the engine is running but it never happened. Engine stalls at idle and holds at about 2000rpm but you can hear the valves under stress (there is no clicking or tapping noise but engine gets hot quickly). Somebody says the something goes wrong with VCT hydraulic system if you turn the camshaft counterclockwise and I did that 2 or 3 times to align the two cams...That, my friend, was my question to you, do you have an answer? I'm replying just to give you better info on the problem in case my original statement was too lean, if you need to know, there are no codes in the computer neither actual nor saved but I disconected all power for 2 hours just in case, fired the engine again but no improvement. Tried setting exhaust cam timing 'ahead' or 'behind' and still the same problem. Sorry did not reply before, work 14 hours a day, only off on Sundays and sometime off on Mondays. Thanks.

Your inability to comprehend the instructions is not everyone else's fault.

If you don't have the proper tools to set up the timing belt and you refuse to pay someone else to do it, then I guess you will continue without a car "my friend"

Following somebody else's advice I drove the car around to give the computer a chance to detect any problems or to better control the VCT. It died a couple of times but when back at home I was able to obtain 2 OBD II codes that led me to clean the MAF Sensor. Now the engine is running even better than before. I was so happy that decided to check your new answer and accept it even if it was wrong again. But there was no new answer. Instead I found something like:

Your inability to provide good advice in not my fault. So...why should I pay for it.

If you don't have the proper answer then I guess you will continue without my money "my friend".

For the records: This wasn't even entertaining, was a wasting of my time. Thanks for nothing.
Fordster
Fordster
Fordster, Ford Technician