Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2000 Ford Expedition: Oil light comes..occasionally

2000 Ford Expedition. 136K....
2000 Ford Expedition. 136K. Oil light comes on occasionally when turning corner. Do I need an oil pump?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2007
Fordster
Fordster, Ford Technician

If it's not low on oil when this happens, then it's very possible the pump is weak.

You should verify the pressure reading using a manual gauge before condemning the pump.

Fordster
Fordster, Ford Technician
Is there a way to determine if the pump is "weak"? How difficult is it to replace an oil pump? Does it require pulling the motor? I am thinking of worst case scenario and cost.

That is the purpose of checking the pressure manually. If the pressure gets too low at idle when the engine gets hot, then you likely need a new pump.

It's not an extremely bad job but it's no piece of cake either.

The engine doesn't have to come out but the oil pan has to be removed in the truck.
This usually means unbolting and jacking the engine on most vehicles.

To be any more specific, I would need the engine size and 2WD or 4WD.

It's a 4.6 All Wheel Drive. How many hours to perform this?

OK, I'm going to need the 8th digit of the VIN#

There are 2 different 4.6 engines and there is a BBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGG difference in the labor time to change the pump

Reply to Fordster's Post: I am at work and I am unable to walk out to my truck. Can you give me worst-case scenario for the cost of the pump + labor?

OK

If the 8th digit is a "W" here's the part price and labor time.

PartOEM PartPriceOil Pan 33 - Oil Pan XL1Z6675CA $91.33

LevelMfg.
Warranty
StandardOil Pan Replace 1.4 hours

Now it the 8th digit is a "6", then the pump is in the front of the motor and not in the pan and the labor is quite different.

PartOEM PartPriceOil Pump 35 - Oil Pump 5L3Z6600AA $62.76

LevelMfg.
Warranty
StandardOil Pump Replace 11.6 hours

After that information I had go and look. Of course there are only 6's in my VIN. Are these ones (1) or eyes (I)?

1FMRU1666Y1B18945
Yep, no question, you have the hard one.
Thanks for the help.
Fordster
Fordster
Fordster, Ford Technician