Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

1995 explorer: tranny..burnt..6 months after flush and fill

I have a 1995 explorer. 4r55e tranny. Fluid smells burnt 6 months after flush and fill. I get an intermittent check engine light while pulling a light trailer, or a couple of hours of interstate speed. PCM does not save code. Had it checked several times. Check engine light always goes off after a minute or two at idle. I am told the tranny temp might set off check engine light? Occasional fluid discharge from tranny over flow after long runs at interstate speeds. Scott

Hi Scottie,

Is engine temp going up also? Should be 1/2 to 3/4 of gauge, that's OK

Everything your saying supports that the trans is running too hot.

I would add a transmission cooler in front of a/c condenser. Reflush the fluid and see if it preforms any better.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
vehicle has towing package and has a transmission cooler already. I am not sure it is working properly. Engine temp runs 1/4 to 1/2 and seldom over, but it does move up and down. I had a antifreeze leak and replaced the radiator. Problem was the same before and after the radiator replacement. Could the transmission not be pumping fluid through the tranny cooler?

That's not very likely and should have showed up during the flushing procedure.

You could pull a hose from that cooler and see if you have good flow. Just get some 3/8 fuel line to make a drain, otherwise it will make a huge mess.[connect to both ends to figure out flow direction, then check it coming out of cooler.] You can drain it right back into dip stick filler tube. You have to start engine of course.

When fluid flowing from hose is all liquid, an adequate amount of fluid should be observed (approximately 0.47 liter [1/2 quart] delivered in 30 seconds). If adequate flow is observed, test is completed.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: the lines to the tranny are solid lines They look to me to be aluminum, that go to the radiator with fittings that screw in to the radiator, one about 1/3 of the way down from the top and the other about 2/3 of the way down from the top. When the radiator was replaced they charged me for 1 1/2 qt of trans fluid, so I am assuming that the tranny cooler is part of the radiator? Will the hot tranny cause a check engine light in the '95 explorer? What should I have my mechanic look for and check for?

Hi scottie,

Yes there is a cooler in the radiator, it goes thru that first, then to the one in front of condenser. I would flow test it thru that one since the radiator is new and the problem was occurring before its replacement.

Yes it could put on the light.

Have them do the flow test as mentioned, inspect all lines for any kinking. The hose parts of lines may have collapsed on the inside.If it all checks out, see if they can install a larger cooler in front of condenser.