32dmadden
32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience
1361311

2002 taurus ses #3 cylinder misfire wires,plugs or coil

Customer Question

v6 24 valve dohc
Category: Ford
Expert:  32dmadden replied 10 years ago.
It can be any one of the things you mentioned and a few more. Check the resistance on the primary side of the coil. Leave one lead on pin 4 of the unplug coil. Then one at a time check pins 1,2,3 with the other lead. The resistance is one to ten ohms. Then check the secondary on each coil wire terminal partner. 1&5 2&6 3&4 the resistance is 12,000 to 15,000 ohms. The spark plug wires is no more than 1000 ohms per inch of wire. (5 inch wire=5000 ohms) I would replace the plugs if it hasn't been done recently. If you have access to a scope that would be the best way of checking the ignition. If you don't do it the way I described above. When it says cylinder #3 it is referring to the third cylinder in the firing order. Witch is 1,4,2,5,3,6. That means it is cylinder number 2 that has the problem. I will send some info on it. Don't forget it can be injector, fuel pressure, air leak, ect.... Let me know if you need more help.graphicgraphic
32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience: A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
i changed the plugs & wires cleand the egr valve runs smoother but at 1000 to 1500 rpm i feel a vibration above that its smooth the new plugs & wires helped but its not there yet
when i removed the #3 plug the tip was black with carbon build up. thank you
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  ford dr replied 10 years ago.

If the misfire was diagnosed with a scan tool it will be #3 cyl, but if using certain scopes would be #3 in firing order which is #2.

Run a cyl leakdown test on #2&#3 and you will probably find a leak to exhaust on #3 cyl. due to a burned exhaust valve. These engines tend to burn the exhaust valve on either #3 or #6 cyl for some reason, possibly due to furtherest from incoming cooled coolant. I have found this on several of the 3.0 duratech engines and always #3 or #6.

I jope tyhis helps, if so please accept.

Glenn Irvin, Ford Dr.