Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2005 F150: four wheel drive..engage..a broken seal that leaks

I own a 2005 F150 4X4 and the four wheel drive does not work. The problem lies in the front right hub assembly, it does not engage. I have a feeling it might be a broken seal that leaks the vacum needed. What should I do to test it? Or could it be something else?

I recommend you engage 4x4 low and leave the vehicle running then raise the complete front end and see if the front hubs are engaging the halfshafts by turning the tire.

The transfer case is equipped with an electromagnetic clutch which is located inside the case. This clutch is used to synchronize the front driveline. When the mode select switch (MSS) on the instrument panel is turned, the 4x4 module (PCM) activates the electromagnetic clutch and powers the transfer case shift motor. When the shift motor reaches the desired position, as determined by the contact plate position inputs to the 4x4 module (PCM), power to the shift motor will be removed. When the transfer case front and rear output shafts are synchronized, the spring loaded lockup collar mechanically engages the mainshaft hub to the drive sprocket. Finally, the front axle integrated wheel ends (IWEs) are engaged and the electromagnetic clutch is deactivated

Integrated Wheel End (IWE) System

The integrated wheel end (IWE) system contains the following:

• Vacuum reservoir
  • IWE solenoid
  • IWEs (spring loaded vacuum hubs)
  • Vacuum hoses
  • Check valve

The IWE system uses vacuum hubs that engage the front wheel hubs to the front halfshafts or disengage the front wheel hubs from the front halfshafts.

The IWE solenoid receives engine vacuum from the vacuum reservoir.

When the 4-wheel drive system is in 2WD mode, the 4x4 module (PCM) supplies a ground path to the IWE solenoid to apply vacuum to the integrated wheel ends (disengaging the front hubs from the front halfshafts). In 4WD mode, the 4x4 module (PCM) does not supply the ground path to the IWE solenoid, vacuum is not applied to the integrated wheel ends and an internal spring keeps the front hubs engaged to the front halfshafts.

You need to check for vacuum supply at the front hubs when 4x4 is engaged

PLEASE REPLY IF NEEDED

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Chris, I know it's been a while since I asked the question and I do appreciate the response. I will accept the answer, however I'm still looking for help. I need to know how to test the vaccum system. I can certainly do all that you suggested, but I need to know where to look for leaks and/or other problems. I will mention something that I had not previously. My local Ford dealership replaced the right hub on my truck some time ago and since then the 4X4 has not worked. Could it be something hat they did wrong? I will gladly compensate you further for advice that is helpfull in my search.

This is definetly the first place to start looking for vacuum leaks or incorrect operation of the hub.

Follow the vacuum lines from the wkeel to the source.

NOTE: The engine must be idling during the following steps to supply vacuum to the IWE solenoid.
Start the engine.
Disconnect the output vacuum line at the IWE solenoid.
Switch the MSS to 4H.
Measure the vacuum at the output port of the IWE solenoid.
Is the vacuum less than 25 mm (1 in) Hg

Reply with these results test K7 You will need a vacuum pump and gauge to perform these tests

Start the engine.
Switch the MSS to 2H.
Is the vacuum greater than 254 mm (10 in) Hg?

test K10

Measure the vacuum at the input port of the IWE solenoid.
Is the vacuum greater than 254 mm (10 in) Hg

test K11

graphic