Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

HOW TO REPAIR REAR BRAKE ON 2000 FORD RANGER

Customer Question
REAR DRUM BRAKE...
REAR DRUM BRAKE
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Ford
12/6/2006
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
What have you already done have you disassembled one brake or both brakes already. Have you ever replaced drum brakes before
Reply to Chris's Post: HOW TO INSTALL REAR BRAKES TO A 2000 FORD RANGER

Removal

1. Remove the brake drum (1126). For additional information, refer to Drum in this section.
  • Inspect the rear brake assembly for the following:
    • the rear wheel cylinder (2261) for excessive leakage that can contaminate brake system parts, and rebuild as necessary.
    • the rear brake shoes and linings (2200) for contamination, and install new shoes and linings as necessary.
    • the rear brake shoes and linings for minimum thickness, above the backing plate or rivets, and install new as necessary.
    • the springs for heat discoloration, and install new as necessary.
    1. the adjusting lever contact with the brake adjuster screw (2041).
    2. graphic
    3. graphic
    4. NOTE: To aid installation, note the locations of the short and long brake shoe retracting springs (2296).

Remove the brake shoe retracting springs.
      1. Remove the long brake shoe retracting spring.
      1. Remove the short brake shoe retracting spring.
      2. graphic
      3. Remove the adjusting screw assembly.
        1. Disconnect the brake shoe adjusting lever cable (2A178) from the brake shoe adjusting lever (2A176).
        2. Remove the brake shoe adjusting lever cable.
        3. Remove the cable guide.
        4. Remove the adjusting lever return spring and the brake shoe adjusting lever.
        5. Remove the brake shoe adjusting screw spring (2049).
        6. Remove the brake adjuster screw assembly
        7. graphic
        8. Remove the brake shoe anchor pin guide plate (2028) and the parking brake strut.
        9. graphic
        10. Remove the rear brake shoes and linings.
          1. Remove the brake shoe hold-down springs (2068).
          1. Remove the rear brake shoes and linings.
          1. Remove the brake shoe hold-down spring pins (2069).
          2. graphic
          3. Pull back the parking brake cable spring and disconnect the parking brake lever (2A637).
          4. graphic
          5. _______________________________________________

Installation

1. Compress the parking brake cable spring and attach the parking brake lever.
  2. graphic
  3. Clean and lubricate the brake backing plate (2211).
    • Use Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound XG3 or an equivalent silicone compound meeting Ford specification ESE-M1C171-A.
    • graphic
    • Install the rear brake shoes and linings.
      1. Position the rear brake shoes and linings.
      1. Position the parking brake lever.
      1. Install the brake shoe hold-down spring pins and the brake shoe hold-down springs.
      2. graphic
      3. Install the parking brake strut.
        1. Install the parking brake link spring (2A601) on the parking brake strut.
        1. Install the parking brake strut.
        1. Install the brake shoe anchor pin guide plate.
        2. graphic
        3. Install the short brake shoe retracting spring.
          1. Place the brake shoe adjusting lever cable over the anchor pin, with crimped side in.
          1. Install the short brake shoe retracting spring
          2. graphic
          3. NOTE: Make sure the brake shoe adjusting lever cable is positioned in the cable guide groove.

Install the long brake shoe retracting spring.
            1. Install the cable guide.
            1. Position the brake shoe adjusting lever cable in the cable guide groove.
            1. Install the long brake shoe retracting spring.
            2. graphic
            3. NOTE: To prevent incorrect installation, the socket end of each brake adjuster screw is stamped R or L.

Assemble the brake adjuster screw assembly.
              1. Apply Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound XG3 or an equivalent silicone compound meeting Ford specification ESE-M1C171-A.
              1. Install the brake adjuster screw into the brake show adjusting screw nut (2047) to the end of the threads, and then loosen one-half turn.
              1. Install the brake shoe adjusting screw socket (2048) on the brake shoe adjusting screw nut.
              2. graphic
              3. Install the brake adjuster screw assembly.
                1. Position the brake adjuster screw assembly.
                2. Install the brake shoe adjusting screw spring.
                3. Position the brake shoe adjusting lever cable.
                4. Position the adjusting lever return spring and the brake shoe adjusting lever.
                5. Hook the brake shoe adjusting lever cable to the brake shoe adjusting lever
                6. graphic
                7. Test the operation of the automatic self-adjuster.
                  1. Pull the brake shoe adjusting lever cable and check that the brake shoe adjusting lever rotates the brake shoe adjuster assembly.
                  1. Release the brake shoe adjusting lever cable and check that the brake shoe adjusting lever advances to the next notch on the brake shoe adjusting screw nut.
                  2. graphic
                  3. ____________________________

graphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician