Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2002 FORD EXPLORER: V6..REPLACE THE GEM MODULE, WHERE CAN I..GLOVE BOX

Customer Question

I HAVE 2002 FORD EXPLORER V6, I NEED TO REPLACE THE GEM MODULE, WHERE CAN I FIND IT.i HAVE THE NEW PART AND SOMENONE TOLD ME THAT IT IS BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX BUT I DONT SEE IT. THANK YOU
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 years ago.

Generic Electronic Module (GEM) - Vehicles Built Before 03/2002

Removal and Installation

CAUTION: Prior to removal of the generic electronic module (GEM), it is necessary to upload module configuration information to a diagnostic tool. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01.

1. Depower the supplemental restraint system (SRS). For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B.
  1. Remove the powertrain control module (PCM). For additional information, refer to Section 303-14.
  1. Disconnect the bulkhead electrical connector from the mounting bracket and position aside.
  2. graphic
  3. graphic
  4. CAUTION: Once the new GEM is installed, it is necessary to download the module configuration information from the diagnostic tool into the new module. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    1. Check for correct operation.

Before removing the GEM the existing program must be downloaded to a diagnostic tool IDS,WDS then uploaded on the new one after installation or the GEM will do nothing yes the module is behind the glove box on the wall to the outside of the suv reply if needed