Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1985 ford: getting power to the inigtion coil..theres

Customer Question
I have a 1985 ford...
I have a 1985 ford crown vic and I am getting power to the inigtion coil but theres no spark coming out of the coil what could be the problem?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2006
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 11 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Greetings! The coil could be bad! Have u changed it?
Reply to amedee's Post: I already changed the coil
Ok, now, we are going to need to check the inputs to the computer. Do u have any diagnostic equitment?
Reply to amedee's Post: I dont have diagnostic equipment but i can get it and when I do what inputs do i check?

Sounds like u have a bad pick up in the distributor.

IF this if fuel injected you are going to need to check for fuel trigger. If none is present, it sounds like the cam or crank signal is bad in the distributor.

Reply to amedee's Post: The distributor with all interal parts is brand new but i dont know if it is timed, will that effect the coil from firing
Yes! the module is in control of that. And that is in the distributor. I would rec to get it timed first.
Reply to amedee's Post: how do i get it in back in time
You are going to have to put # XXXXX cylinder at top dead center and make sure the rotor is pointing at #1 on the cap
Well after that, you will need to use a timing light. Do u have one?
Reply to amedee's Post: how do you know where number one is on the cap is
Would you like a diagram?
Reply to amedee's Post: how do i know where number one on the cap is
Reply to amedee's Post: where is number one on the cap
h
Reply to amedee's Post: I have a 5.0 is this the right info because i see 5.8l
Yes. In the picture it gives the firing order for both. Look close. It is about in the middle of the picture
Reply to amedee's Post: I still thought full there is 12 volts to the coil it should fire no matter what
Your right! It should! Seeing how u replaced it, As long as it is good, and there is a signal going to it, it should fire. THat is why I dont think there is a signal. This is why I think the pick up is bad!
Reply to amedee's Post: The pick-up is in the distributor right and if it is how do i check it
Yes! Normaly they are. But you might just have a crank sensor located by the harmonic balancer. They both can be checked with a lab scope
Reply to amedee's Post: does this car have a crank sensor
Yes!
Reply to amedee's Post: Does the cranksensor control the coil.
Yes, if the crank sensor is not working, that you will not have spark
Reply to amedee's Post: Would a scan tool tell me there is a bad crank sensor
It is possible. Just look at the rpm as your cranking over. If it stays at 0, than either the sensor is bad or the wiring.
Reply to amedee's Post: In what way does the crank sensor control the coil
The crank sensor gives the ignition module a signal which in turn gives the coil a signal.
Reply to amedee's Post: The voltage regulator would not have anything to do with the coil would it
no
Reply to amedee's Post: Is there anything else that will cause the coil not to fire
A bad ignition module or wiring
Reply to amedee's Post: How ould i know if the wiring is bad
To be honest, u will have to do a continuity test on all the wires with a multimeter.
Reply to amedee's Post: do you know where the location of the data link connector for the ecu
It will be located under the hood along the passenger side or drivers side fender
Reply to amedee's Post: Can you provide a picture of it
j
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN