Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How do i change right front wheel bearing on a 1992 ford explorer 4x4

Customer Question
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Ford
9/25/2006
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 11 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Except Mountaineer, 1995-99 Explorer and 1998-99 Ranger

OUTER HUB COVER

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the automatic locking hubs and related components

1. Loosen the front wheel lug nuts.

2. Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.

3. Remove the lug nuts and wheel/tire assembly.

4. If equipped, remove the lug nut retainer washers from the wheel studs.

Some gentle tapping with a soft faced hammer may help to loosen the locking hub cover if it seems stuck.

1. Remove the automatic locking hub cover assembly from the rotor by pulling straight outward.

2. Inspect the O-ring seal on the back side of the hub assembly and, if damaged, replace it.

3. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Ensure that the rotor mounting face is flat and free of burrs, dirt or grease, especially where the O-ring seal makes contact.

INNER HUB LOCKING CAM

See Figures 2 and 3

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Exploded view of the locking cam assembly

1. Remove the outer hub cover.

2. Remove the snap-ring from the end of the splined axle shaft.

3. Remove the axle shaft spacer(s).

1. Pull the locking cam assembly and the two thrust spacers (behind cam assembly) from the wheel bearing adjusting nut.

2. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Make sure to install the two thrust spacers first. Also, when pushing or pressing the locking cam into position, ensure that the key in the cam assembly is aligned with the keyway of the front spindle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: When installing the outer hub cover, ensure that the legs on the cover seat in the pockets on the locking cam

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Loosen the front wheel lug nuts.

2. Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

3. Remove the disc brake calipers and support the caliper on the vehicle's frame rail.

4. Remove the hub locks and lock nuts.

5. Remove the hub and rotor.

6. Remove the nuts retaining the spindle to the steering knuckle. Tap the spindle with a plastic or rawhide hammer to jar the spindle from the knuckle.

7. Inspect the needle bearings inside the spindle bore. If worn or damaged, replace as follows:

1. Place the spindle in a vise on the second step of the spindle. Wrap a shop towel around the spindle or use a brass-jawed vise to protect the spindle.

2. Remove the oil seal and needle bearing from the spindle with a slide hammer and seal remover tool, 1175-AC or equivalent.

3. Clean all dirt and grease from the spindle bearing bore. Bearing bore must be free from nicks and burrs.

4. Place the bearing in the bore with the manufacturer's identification facing outward. Drive the bearing into the bore using spindle bearing replacer tool, T83T-3123-A and drive handle T80T-4000-W or equivalent.

5. Install the grease seal in the bearing bore with the lip side of the seal facing towards the tool. Drive the seal in the bore using spindle bearing replacer tool, T83T-3123-A and drive handle T80T-4000-W or equivalent. Coat the bearing seal lip with Multi-Purpose Long Life Lubricant C1AZ-19590-B or equivalent.

To install:

1. Inspect the seal on the axle shaft, and if damaged or worn replace it. Refer to front axle shaft removal & installation procedure in this Section.

2. Install the splash shield and spindle onto the steering knuckle. Install and tighten the spindle nuts to 35-45 ft. lbs. (47-61Nm).

Since the rotor is removed, check that the wheel bearings are properly greased and that the rotor grease seal is in acceptable condition.

1. Install the rotor on the spindle.

2. Install the wheel bearing, locknut, thrust bearing, snapring and locking hubs.

3. Install the disc brake calipers. Install the wheel and tire assembly.

4. Lower the vehicle. Tighten the lug nuts to specification.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans