Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Clutch replacement

Customer Question
clutch replacement
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Ford
9/19/2006
Ford Mechanic: Telles Spence, Auto Tech replied 11 years ago
Telles Spence
Telles Spence, Auto Tech

1.8L and 1.9L Engines

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

1. Disconnect both battery cables, negative cable first.

2. Remove the battery and battery tray.

3. Remove the engine air cleaner tube and the air intake resonator.

4. Disconnect the speedometer cable at the transaxle.

5. Remove the slave cylinder line-to- slave cylinder hose retaining clip, then disconnect the slave cylinder line from the slave cylinder hose and plug the hose.

6. Disconnect the ground strap from the transaxle.

7. Remove the tie wrap and unplug the three electrical connectors located above the transaxle.

8. Remove the electrical connector support bracket.

9. Install Engine Support Bar 014-00750 or equivalent, and attach it to the engine lifting eyes with suitable chains or cables.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Install a suitable engine support bar and attach it to the engine lifting eyes-1.8L and 1.9L engines

1. If equipped, remove the three nuts from the left-hand engine support bracket.

2. Loosen the mount pivot nut and rotate the mount out of the way.

3. Remove the three bolts and the left-hand engine support mount.

4. Remove the two upper transaxle-to-engine bolts.

5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

6. Remove the front wheel and tire assemblies.

7. Remove the inner fender splash shields.

8. Drain the transaxle fluid and install the drain plug.

9. Remove the halfshafts.

10. Install Transaxle Plugs T88C-7025-AH or equivalent, between the differential side gears.

WARNINGFailure to install the transaxle plugs may cause the differential side gears to become improperly positioned. If the gears become misaligned, the differential will have to be removed from the transaxle to align them.
  1. If equipped with the 1.8L engine, remove the intake manifold support bolts and the support.

2. Remove the starter motor.

3. Unfasten the gearshift stabilizer bar nut and washers. Remove the stabilizer bar and bracket from the transaxle.

4. Unfasten the shift control rod-to-transaxle bolt and nut and remove the shift control rod from the transaxle.

5. Remove both lower splash shields.

6. Unfasten the transaxle mount-to-crossmember bolts and nuts and remove the lower crossmember (rear engine support).

7. Position and secure a suitable transaxle jack under the transaxle.

8. Remove the front transaxle mount and bracket.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Removing the front transaxle mount and bracket-1.8L and 1.9L engines

1. Remove the lower engine-to-transaxle bolts and slowly lower the transaxle out of the vehicle.

To install:

1. Apply a thin coating of suitable grease to the spline of the input shaft.

2. Place the transaxle onto a suitable transaxle jack. Make sure the transaxle is secure.

3. Raise the transaxle into position.

4. Install the lower engine-to-transaxle bolts and tighten to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Location of the lower engine-to-transaxle bolts-1.8L and 1.9L engines

1. Install the front transaxle mount and bracket. Tighten the bolts to 12-17 ft. lbs. (16-23 Nm).

2. Remove the transaxle jack.

3. Install the lower crossmember. Tighten the support bolts to 47-66 ft. lbs. (64-89 Nm) and the transaxle support insulator-to-rear engine support nuts to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).

4. Install both lower splash shields.

5. Install the shift control rod bolt and nut and tighten to 12-17 ft. lbs. (16-23 Nm).

6. Install the stabilizer bracket and stabilizer bar with the nut and washers and tighten to 23-34 ft. lbs. (31-46 Nm).

7. Install the starter motor.

8. If equipped with the 1.8L engine, install the intake manifold support and tighten the retaining bolts to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).

9. Remove the transaxle plugs and install the halfshafts.

10. Install the inner fender splash shields.

11. Install the wheel and tire assemblies.

12. Lower the vehicle.

13. Install the upper engine-to-transaxle bolts and tighten to 47-66 ft. lbs. (64-89 Nm).

14. Install the left-hand engine support mount and tighten 3 bolts to 32-45 ft. lbs. (43-61 Nm) for 1.8L engine or 41-59 ft. lbs. (55-80 Nm) for 1.9L engine.

15. Rotate the left-hand engine support bracket into position and tighten the pivot nut.

16. Install and tighten the left-hand engine support bracket nuts and tighten to 47-66 ft. lbs. (64-89 Nm).

17. Remove the engine support bar.

18. Install the electrical connector support bracket. Attach the electrical connectors and secure with a new tie wrap.

19. Connect the ground strap to the transaxle.

20. Connect the slave cylinder line to the slave cylinder hose and install the retaining clip.

21. Add the proper type and amount of fluid to the transaxle.

22. Connect the speedometer cable.

23. Install the engine air cleaner tube and the air intake resonator.

• Remove the transaxle assembly.

• If the clutch assembly is to be reused, matchmark the pressure plate and the flywheel so they can be assembled in the same position.

• Install flywheel holding tool T84P-6375-A or equivalent, in a transaxle mounting hole on the engine and engage the tooth of the holding tool into the flywheel ring gear.

• Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 1: Install a flywheel holding tool in a transaxle mounting hole on the engine, and engage the tooth of the tool into the flywheel ring gear

1. Loosen the pressure plate-to-flywheel retaining bolts one turn at a time, in a crisscross pattern, until the spring tension is relieved, to prevent pressure plate cover distortion.

2. Support the pressure plate and unfasten the retaining bolts. Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc from the flywheel.

If the flywheel shows any signs of overheating (blue discoloration) or if it is badly grooved or scored, it should be refaced or replaced.

1. Inspect the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing and the clutch fork for wear. Replace parts as needed.

To install:

1. If removed, install a new pilot bearing using a suitable installation tool.

2. If removed, install the flywheel. Make sure the flywheel and crankshaft flange mating surfaces are clean. Tighten the flywheel retaining bolts to 71-76 ft. lbs. (96-103 Nm) on the 1.8L engine or 54-67 ft. lbs. (73-91 Nm) on the 1.9L engine.

3. Clean the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces thoroughly. Position the clutch disc and pressure plate into the installed position and support them with a dummy shaft or clutch aligning tool. If the clutch assembly is being reused, align the matchmarks that were made during the removal procedure.

4. Install the pressure plate-to-flywheel retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts in the correct sequence to 13-20 ft. lbs. (18-26 Nm). Remove the alignment tool.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 2: Position the clutch disc and pressure plate into the installed position and support them with a clutch aligning tool

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 3: Tighten the pressure plate-to-flywheel retaining bolts to specification in the sequence illustrated

1. If the release bearing was removed, lubricate the release fork where it contacts the bearing and install the bearing in the fork.

2. Install the transaxle assembly.

3. Lower the vehicle.

4. Bleed the hydraulic clutch system, if needed.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

6. Road test the vehicle and check the clutch for proper operation.

1. Install the battery tray and the battery.

2. Connect the battery cables, negative cable last.

3. Check for fluid leaks and proper clutch operation.

4. Road test the vehicle and check for proper transaxle operation.

Telles Spence
    Telles Spence
    Telles Spence, Auto Tech