LBS Tech
LBS Tech, Ford Auto Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tecnician,ASE Master Tech and L1 Certified, Ford Certified Diesel Tech
1671924

1992 Ford Tempo: the drivers side auto seat belt quit working

I have a 1992 Ford Tempo and the drivers side auto seat belt quit working. The fuse is good. What can I do to find out myself what is wrong with it? Can I get a manual shoulder belt to go in the car?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.

Thank you for your question. Do you hear the motor running? if not remove the B pillar trim and check power to the motoer with a test light. If you have power you will need a new motor. If the motor runs but it doesn't move you will prbably need a new track and belt assembly. Below are instructions to temeraliy drive the car until it is repaired.

If the shoulder belt does not move or stops before reaching the B-pillar position, perform the following steps before driving the vehicle:

1. Turn ignition key to the OFF position.
  2. Open and close door(s). Make sure door is fully closed.
  3. Turn ignition key to the ON position.
  4. If the shoulder belt still does not move to B-pillar, then using a coin or screwdriver, remove cover at lower end of B-pillar interior trim panel and turn override knob clockwise to move shoulder belt manually until it stops at the B-pillar position.
  5. If the belt does not move to the B-pillar, the belt may be broken or the motor drive gear stripped. Grasp the belt and pull it toward the B-pillar while turning the knob on the motor clockwise. This should move the belt to the lowest position on the B-pillar. (This will allow the occupant to position the belt manually over the shoulder until the vehicle can be serviced.)

Important: If the shoulder belt will not move forward to the A-pillar position, press the red emergency release button on the buckle to exit the vehicle. Then check to see if the Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch has been tripped.

NOTE : The inertia fuel shutoff switch shuts off power to the fuel pump and the passive restraint system.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to LBS Tech's Post: Forgive me for being so ignorant but, where should I check power with the test light? There is a white 2 wire plug that runs up the B pillar that plugs into something, is that where I need to check it?

There should be a pink and yellow wire and a black and white wire in a connector near the motor in the b-pillar. One of these should have power depending on which direction the motor is being commanded to turn. Here is a wiring diagram if it helps.