Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F350 air conditioning problem

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Ford...
I have a 2001 Ford F350 supercab 4x4 7.3liter diesel, dually. My air conditioner recently started blowing warm air, then cool air intermittently. Now, a few days later, my air conditioner is simply blowing hot air, doesn't cool at all. The system appears to be functioning correctly, ie the fan blows quite a bit of air (just not "cool" air). Any suggestions??
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Ford
7/25/2006
Ford Mechanic: Tim Basham, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 11 years ago
Tim Basham
Tim Basham, ASE Certified Master Technician
First you need to see if the clutch is engaging on the compressor. The system may have a leak and lost its charge. It also could be a bad pressure switch causing the clutch not to engage. I have seen several of these with compressor failures having full charge and clutch engaging but no pressure difference from where the compressor is not compressing.
Reply to Tim Basham's Post: Tim,

Thank you for the info. Is there a way I can troubleshoot (or test) the pressure switch?

Steve

FIrst is to check and see if the compressor is engaging when A/C is on. If it is not then you can jumper the pressure switch and see if the clutch engages. Below are some Diagrams of the wiring circuit involved in the A/C system.

You will be looking for the A/C cycling pressure switch it will be mounted on the accumulator on the passneger side. As you and see there is alot involved in the system but the pressure switch is the common problem on these.

this is the low pressure switch

this is the high pressure switch

Tim Basham
Tim Basham
Tim Basham